1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Used Plow won't Turn on

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Aminator, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Aminator

Aminator Junior Member
    from CT

Hello, I'm a newbie. Just got a 96 f250 7.3 Came with an old 8' fisher plow for free. On the hydraulic solenoid pak it says:

series A
    serial #F or E 132952 (paint makes it hard to read)

I've never had a plow before, and know nothing about them. Figured, if its free, I can plow my drive, the neighbors, or at least sell it for scrap if it comes to that. Driving it home the plow locked in the right position. No movement left. (previous owner said it's happened to him a couple of times and drying out the solenoids fixed it.)

Went to move the plow to a different spot in the driveway yesterday, and the joystick won't even turn on. No red light. No plow motor, nor plow lights will turn on.

I checked all connections and they looked good. I could not find the inline fuse though. Traced from the joystick, to the batteries, and then to the plow and nothing. It could be a POS Frankenstein job by the previous owner.

Any suggestions? How do I test if power is getting where it needs to go with a multimeter? I'm in Norwalk CT if you know of anyone who could take a look?

Thank you.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ok. Let's start simple. Does the light bar stay with the tk or does it come off with the plow? Is the joystick a small box or is it bolted to the dash

3. Aminator

Aminator Junior Member
    from CT

The lights on and for the plow, stay with the plow/hydraulic unit when detached from the truck.

The joystick is a black box, about the size of the palm of a hand, with a bundle of 6 wires coming out the right side, the on/off switch on the left side, the red power button on the bottom, and a metal L shaped attachment with which it bolts to the dash.

I've heard there is supposed to be a red power wire also coming from the joystick, but I see none now, nor remember there ever being one.

4. if the headlights dont turn on you probably broke a few wires on the truckside harness

otherwise trace from the stick down the wires and there should be a fuse where it gets power check that or use a test light ground it out and poke the wires to check for power

then check your module which is probably under the hood. near the module there will be several fuses check them

and finally if those are good use a multi meter put it on the ohms setting and unplug the harness from the module and test each one at a time putting one side of the meter on the harness that connects to the plow and plug that connects to the module. this takes some time and can be annoying but is the easiest way to ensure you dont have any broken wires from the module to the plow. you can do the same process from the module to the stick

good luck

5. dieselss

Good points snow. Need to find out what kinda fisher it is first tho. Ok another q? How many plugs do you have at the grill?? And are the lights a 2 post stud or 1. And are they big lights or rectangular with a square light bulb?

6. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe he could just post a picture?

7. Aminator

Aminator Junior Member
    from CT

Two plugs. I think rectangular lights. I'll get some pics tonight/tomorrow morning, and get more detailed info for you.

Thank you for the help!

8. Aminator

Aminator Junior Member
    from CT

Here are pics of plow and hyrdo/solenoid pak. More pics of joystick and wiring later. I have not been able to locate a fuse. I called a local fisher dealer and they said there should be a red power wire from the joystick. I could not find one. I don't remember there ever being one honestly. I have not yet had time to test with a multimeter. I'll report back when I do. Thanks again.

IMG_0201.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  9. Aminator

Aminator Junior Member
    from CT

Pics of hyrdo/solenoid and plugs on plow

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

10. Aminator

Aminator Junior Member
    from CT

Plugs on truck, joystick, and wiring from joystick through firewall.

IMG_0211a.jpg

IMG_0211b.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

11. Aminator

Aminator Junior Member
    from CT

engine compartment wiring.

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

12. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

One is the plow solenoid, one is the starter solenoid. You need to trace your power source first. The red wire on the control harness is power. Then inspect and clean your connections on that motor and grille connectors. Coat them w/elecrtric grease Could be as simple as a blown fuse.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  13. Aminator

Aminator Junior Member
    from CT

Found a sticker on the wire bundle coming from the firewall with a sticker that 8/95 at the bottom and some other info. I think this plow came with the truck, or shortly there after.

Found the red power wire. Found the fuse, and the fuse was fine. It does not wire in to the ignition though. It wires in to the number one fuse on the fuse panel, for ac/heat. That fuse was fine too.

Will give the harnesses a good cleaning. They are currently coated with dielectric grease. One of the pins does look a little corroded.

I could not find a module. How do I test for broken wires/connections? Or even if the power wire is getting power?

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  14. FordFisherman

from 06611

Put 12 volts to the motor stud and a good ground to see if it functions, if so check or replace the solenoid on the firewall, look over all the underhood wiring and wiggle the grille connectors (they may be bad).

15. FordFisherman

from 06611

With the key in the on position, the red light should light on the controller.

16. FordFisherman

from 06611

Looking at the pics again, I see one of the plug wires is all taped up like it was spliced. Untape and chk those connections.

17. Aminator

Aminator Junior Member
    from CT

No light. That is the problem that inspired this thread. Will report back when I test the motor, relay, and another pass at the wiring.

Thank you again for the help!

18. FordFisherman

from 06611

Yeah sorry to state the obvious abt the red light, focus on the plug connections first; I have a feeling thats where your prob is.

19. dieselss

you have to have pwr to the controller first,,,all else is secondary. ck that fuse in the fuse box, then ck for pwr into thr fuse holder, then out of the fuse holder. and have the key on....and last take the fuse out and ck the contacts....i've replaced so many of them little fuse holders it aint even funny

20. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Where is the main ground wire connected? It should go on the neg post of the battery or on the engine block.I dont see where it is on the pics?