1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Used Plow Wiring Question

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by sserven, Dec 10, 2010.

1. sserven

sserven Junior Member

Hey everyone, this is first post on here. I looked through the hiniker section trying to find an answer to my problem but couldn't find a solution so I thought I'd register and ask a few questions.

I bought a used hiniker model 2802 last year. Ended up buying a new harness for the truck side of things and the controller I was told was only a year or two old. I used it a few times last year and I've moved it once or twice this fall with no problems. I went to hook up to it and got the wires hooked to the plow and had the plow half way on the forks. At that point the up down left right all worked. I finally got the plow all the way on the forks and locked in and then the plow wouldn't do anything. I could hear the solenoid clicking, but that was all it would do. The plow lights were very dim as well.

I've gone to hiniker's website and downloaded the manual and parts list and the way my motor and coils on the plow are wired do not match what the manual says. The manual says I should have a tan(left), grey(right) and blue(lift) wire going to the three coils on the plow. I've got an orange(left), tan(right) and green(lift) wire going to the coils. Then I've got ground wires that are connected to the same spades that the left(orange) and right(tan) wires are going to. The third coil for the raise/lower has two spades and so the ground and blue wire are hooked to each of them.

The plow looks to be an older plow so I was wondering if they would have changed wire colors somewhere along the way or if a previous owner rewired this thing themselves. I've checked the pins in the connectors and they are fine. The 10 amp fuse is fine. I've swapped relays around and that didn't fix it. The solenoid was new last year and didn't get much use.

I have noticed when I move the controller the light goes from green to orange and it stays orange no matter what I do unless I turn the power off. Hopefully these symptoms ring a bell to someone.

2. trycyber

trycyber Junior Member

I am not familiar with hinikers, but it sounds like a ground issue. Have you cleaned the surface rust on the forks and where the plow side connects to the forks?

By the way ...Welcome to the site..
  3. sserven

sserven Junior Member

Thanks for the suggestion. The plow forks are new this year since I traded trucks. I'll grab a wire brush in the morning and give each side a good workover.
  4. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

The rust you get on the forks has no bearing on the electrical issues you are having.

Double check the solenoids and make sure you are getting output when engaged. The wiring may have been replaced at some point so I would just follow the schematic to make sure each wire ends up at it's intended location regardless of color. And look inside your connectors to make sure the pins are there and clean. If not, look here and start reworking your connectors: http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=112396
  5. sserven

sserven Junior Member

I finally found the problem. My battery cable on the truck side was missing the prong that plugs into the plow cable. It must have been lose and finally broke off somewhere.

I did redo the connector for the plow lights and functions. I used a pair of the 4 wire trailer light plugs. They were only 3 bucks a set at napa and I was able to use two since I only have 8 wires on the plow side of the harness. I did alternate which ends I used on the truck and plow side so that way I know which harnesses go together. On the plow side when I unhook them I can hook the two connectors together to keep dirt or ice or snow out of them. I found out that I can't do that on the truck side because it messed with my turn signals on the truck.