1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Used plow questions

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by tangotoy, Nov 1, 2005.

1. tangotoy

tangotoy Junior Member

Hi guys I just finished installing a used plow (old artic plow maybe) on a 1995 chev 1500.It has an Artic plow lower push harness with home made upper light harness.It has a long cylinder type under hood pump and a 2 button (rocker switch) control panel.The pump has a single solenoid on top.My question is how should the pump be wired to the battery?
    Also what would cause the blade to drop very fast and very hard in the down position?
    I think I have it wired correctly because it does lift up and angles Left and Right my big concern is how hard it drops in down mode.What is the propper way to check fluid level?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks

2. ght1098

ght1098 Member

Best thing to do would be to find out who made the pump (monarch, Barnes, etc.) Then go to thier website and download any manuals or info for that pump. Could also take it to your local hyd shop and see if they have any info on it.

3. genrock

genrock Member

I have a western but I make sure my fluid is topped right off while the plow is in the down position. I dont know how hard you mean, but if its just slamming to the ground and shaking the earth then you dont have enough fluid in it to slow the piston from crashing down. Are there any leaks from the top of the piston around the lock nut or below. If not just fill the entire chamber at bottom position be sure when filling you leave room for air to come out and fill slow. Alot of people assume that when the fluid comes busting out that its full when actually it is just air forcing the fluid out.

4. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

Sounds like you have the Monarch pump - black motor and grey body with the filler vent cap on the top of the reservoir. If you take the cap off, you will see wires inside the reservoir - no problem - that is how they are made. Fill the reservoir with transmission fluid (or J-13 Hyd. oil if you will be running in really cold places) to within 1/2" of the top. Reinstall the breather.

The positive cable from the battery connects to one side of the solinoid, the other side is connected via a copper strip to the motor feed.

It is a good unit - signs of wear will be seen when it warms up - it will not generate enough lift pressure to lift the blade when trying to pile snow. Cheap to overhaul though.

There is not way to throttle down the drop speed. Up until 1999 when we switched to Boss, we used the Arctics for 18 years. Good, solid, basic equipment.