1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Used plow not working

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by spicy_mchaggiz, Jan 14, 2016.

1. spicy_mchaggiz

spicy_mchaggiz Junior Member

Hello! First post and first experience with a snow plow and I am seeking guidance.

We recently purchased a Meyer ST/C ? (http://www.shopmeyerproducts.com/product_detail.asp?T1=MEY+08888&trk_src_ss=MEYPAYPCWEBMACSS this plow setup) plow with E47 pump. We have a meyer "digital" control pad SKU: M22154X. I have finished hooking up every possible piece and went to try it however with each movement the overvolt protection light appears on the pad. (Except downward on random tries) We are currently troubleshooting with the company and they suggested the motor was bad, but upon inspection with pictures they claim it is good and worked before shipping.

I am looking for any guidance to get this equipment working properly.

2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Have you confirmed that the motor is bad?
    Have you done an amp draw test with a multi meter?
    What were your numbers?

3. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Does the relay [solenoid] click? That grounds thru its base, needs to be mounted to metal, or have a ground wire from base to good ground. What are you working on, year, make, model?

4. spicy_mchaggiz

This is at work so first thing tomorrow will be testing the motor.

Yes, we can hear the solenoid click. It is mounted to bare metal.

The platform is a 1999 F350 Lariat

5. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Check grounds first, all of them, also one of my plows did this once, after trying a bunch of other things I ended up tapping the motor with a hammer, worked just fine since then.

6. spicy_mchaggiz

Okay, we checked all grounds and found a couple corroded. We can now get the plow to swing left and right, but have no lifting. The controller will only show overvolt now for lifting.

7. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

How is your fluid level?

8. spicy_mchaggiz

Unfortunately the cap is becoming stripped, that is the next thing I am going to try.

9. spicy_mchaggiz

Cap replaced and fluid filled. Still not raising or lowering action.

Edit: I can swap "B" and "C" coils and I can get the plow to raise, lower, and go left. Is this indication of a bad coil?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  10. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Bad coil, bad connection or bad control. Check for magnetism and power at B coil while having helper press up. Disconnect positive wire from plow motor to keep it from moving.

11. spicy_mchaggiz

We checked for magnetism and got nothing on either coil.

12. kimber750

Gotta have something if you have up or right. These functions are not possible with a working valve.

13. spicy_mchaggiz

Which is what I'm thinking as we can swap coil tops and have them work. My co-worker was the one holding the screwdriver and saw nothing.

14. kimber750

Instead of swapping the coils try swapping the leads to the coils. Right should be up and up should be right. This will tell if control is good or not.

15. spicy_mchaggiz

Yup, swapped the leads and it did the same as swapping the physical coils.