1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Used plow install

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Yardman41, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Yardman41

Yardman41 Junior Member

I have a 2005 Dodge Dakota that I would like to install a 6' 8" plow on. I have access to both a Western and/or a Meyers, older plows. Question: What do I have to do to get one or the other of these plows to fit on my Dakota, what kind of mounting system would I have to get? Would a unimount system work? Thanks.

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

first, ditch the 6.5ft and get a 7.5ft at a minimum.
    a 6.5 isn't wide enough to clear a path for your truck.

mounts can be found for your truck from any of the major mfgs.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Find out what mounts are available first then decide on brand

4. Yardman41

Yardman41 Junior Member

I just got back from a BOSS/WESTERN dealer and I like what I found out. I have the option to buy a used unit, but I think instead I'm going to go with a new set up. If I got a used unit elsewhere and had to have the mounting bracket and all the electronics installed, by the time I done that, it would only be a savings of maybe $900 once the sales tax is added in. Then I would still have a used unit prone to problems. With new, I get a 2 year warranty and I can gradually grow along with any problems that might occur, rather then going in blind. I think the BOSS 7' Sport Duty, with the Poly blade is the plow I will be going with? Anybody have any thoughts on this?

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

That mount will be hanging low, do you have enough clearance?

We have a western mid-weight on a 03, seems to be a perfect fit

6. Yardman41

Yardman41 Junior Member

I'll ask the dealer about that, glad you brought that up! Thanks.

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Why can't/couldn't you install the mount and wiring? It's not that hard....And you'll have a better understanding how things work in case something breaks down the road

8. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Still Liquored up on the Western Kool-Aid I see:drinkup::drinkup:.......... Thanks for not disappointing us.:waving:

Yardman you can't go wrong with either, both are solid plows.Thumbs Up

9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Everytime I say Western, I get 1/20th of a penny

Western
    Western
    Western
    Western
    Western
    Western
    Western
    Western
    Western
    Western
    Western
    Western
    Western
    Western

Almost a Penny

10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Get the direct lift, you can stack/pile snow higher with them over the old chain lift systems some are still using.

11. Yardman41

Yardman41 Junior Member

I checked with my mechanic and he said that when the plow is installed, they will tighten the torsion bars I believe he said, to make up for the sag caused by the weight of the plow. I also called the tire shop and I can get a set of tires that are 1 inch higher then the ones I'm running, 2 inches really, but one of those inches is on top. I've yet to call the shop, the dude must be out to lunch? I wish I woulkd have known about this site and LawnSite.com, a long time ago....guess I just didn't hunt hard enough, or ask the right questions?

12. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

This is the only way you'll ever have any cents........

Direct lifts also save transmission......... oh crap that's trip edges..... or is it....:confused:

13. Yardman41

Yardman41 Junior Member

Geeze, sometimes you just can't win! This morning, the guy at the shop told me yes, the Boss would fit on my Dakota. Showed me all the literature and stuff. Earlier this afternoon, I go back out there with the deposit on the plow and he starts looking up stuff and 'Boom'!!! "Looks like they don't make a bracket for your truck?" He said he is positive that they have mounted one before on the Dakota and he was checking with the manufacturer. Of course they were closed for the day so he said he will get back to me tomorrow. We''ll see?

14. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

They majority of guys working a counter are idiots, always talk to someone in service.

All plow mfr's have pages on their websites where you can find out if and what size plow they recommend for your vehicle. Use the links in the center of the page (that look the imagine below) to do some research.

tabs.jpg