1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Used or New Plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ny518, Oct 17, 2010.

1. ny518

ny518 Junior Member

I was hoping I could pick the brain of someone who has had the same debate I am going through.

I am looking at a couple of used plows:

1. 7.5ft Fisher Xtreme V 2 years Old $3350
    2. 8ft Western ProPlus less than a year old $3500

Truck: 2007 Dodge 2500/Hemi

Both plows are off of a Dodge that will fit my truck and in very good condition. The installation here in upstate NY is around $375. New plows would be over 5k but it would provide me with some type of warranty. I will only be plowing my driveway and occasionally my parents. Is used a good route to go or should I spring the extra $$ and buy new?

Thanks in advance for any advice..

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

If money isn't an issue than go ahead and buy new. I personally would go ahead and buy the V plow used and forget about it. If your going to have it installed, then have the dealer go through it and change the fluid, and look it over. I have been plowing snow for 22 years now, and to tell the truth I have never owned a brand new plow. I always buy used for half the money. Treat it right and it will last for years.

3. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

The 7.5' Fisher Xtreme V is to small for a 3/4 ton truck. If you get an Xtreme V you should get an 8.5' IMO.

4. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Go with the Fisher Vee. Its is on the smaller side, but for just doing a few driveways it will be better suited. Good luck.:waving:

5. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I 2nd this statement! Cash talks so I am sure you can get it for 3K when you show him u are serious. Good Luck and keep us updated.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

get at least an 8' blade for your truck
    new is nice but used is a better value for what you are planning

7. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

if you are just doing yours and maybe a relative used may not be the bad way to go because if it breaks down on you, you wont have angry clients calling.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

wait. your doing ONE drive, and on occasion another?

just hire out.

9. ForestEdgeSnow

ForestEdgeSnow Senior Member

go used but those do seem kind of pricey for being used I hope they come with a mount and wireing harneness. I would defently go used though. plows last longer then truck paint it yearly and change the fluid yearly

Thanks
    Justin

10. ny518

ny518 Junior Member

Well I have waited to long and the used plow market has gotten pretty sorry, so now I am looking at new. I am pretty sure I am going to get a Fisher Xtreme-V the question is 7.5 or 8.5?? I know the comments will be V for personal use is overkill and why not just a plow service.. Well I am tired of paying $$ and only getting 1/2 my driveway done because I never get a chance to move my cars before he leaves. Right now the price for a 8.5 V Stainless is around $5300 installed + tax. Seems like a reasonable price from the research I have done. Just concerned that the 8.5 seems a bit wide so I was wondering if the 7.5 is a better choice for residential driveways. I just don't want to regret my purchase and say boy I wish I had gone bigger..

Thanks again the information I have received on this site has been great.

11. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Definitely get the 8.5', don't bother with a 7.5'. I had a 7.5' on a Dakota and when I turned my tires would hit the snow packing it down. I have an 8' plow on my Ram 2500 which I think is a tad small, which is why I got wings.

12. ny518

ny518 Junior Member

I have decided to go witht he 8.5 Xteme V in Stainless, and will be installed tomorrow. Thanks for the responses the feedback was very helpfull.

13. Teamdynamic

Teamdynamic Junior Member

buy the used western.