1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Used Meyer???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Waterchikn, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

I am sorry to have to post this thread. I did do a search, but the results were so varried that I thought this might just be easier.
    I need a new plow, I run a meyer 7.5. The Hydo's are perfect and the A-frame is perfect, the actual "blade" is shot. I looked at a couple tonite and found one that is in real good shape. Now, I have to figure out what its worth. Its the plow, 2 angle rams, new steel cutting edge, and A-frame? I think the year is 88 or 89?? I don't need the angle rams, but they are included. On a scale from 1 to 10, I would give this set up about an 8. What should I offer?? I know its a meyer and I should just go buy a new western or boss, but thats not in the budget right now.
    Thanx for your info.
  2. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Around here a used Meyer 7.6 in "good" condition could bring any where from $350 to $500 dollars. Or more if it's newer.:rolleyes: John
  3. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

ask other contractors & put the word out that you need a new blade, I snagged a 90' ish c-8 moldboard aframe & cylinders complete & in good condition for $150.... don't forget to look on e-bay.

4. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

You have already owned a Meyer. It seems, by your own admission, you have found there are better plows to be had. Why not get a Western fabbed to fit your Meyer mount?

From what I have seen of Meyer (admittedly little) I would say either you do the welding now, or you will do it later if you choose to go with the Meyer. I have a couple of Western Blades that look like they have been to Hell and back. They are sturucturally sound. I have two municipal 10' Meyer blades that I KNOW have been taken care of. One of the Meyer blades is going to help me "cut my teeth welding" since it is need of repair with multiple cracked welds, etc.

I'd buy a used Meyer if the price was right, but I'd buy another brand if given the choice. Not brand bashing, just telling you what my experience has been. Good luck.

5. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

Yeah... the reason I was going with the meyer again, is not for quality, but the availablity of the parts in my area (Any auto parts store around here). A friend of mine also has a Meyer "Graveyard" and thats were I looked at the blades. There is a couple 7.5's and a 9. I was thinking of getting both, like maybe for $300-$400. I think that would be worth it. I am not hard on my equipment, so the meyer works for me. Dealer support is huge. Plus now I know where to get spare parts even when the stores are closed!
    Will the E60 be ok for a 9' Blade???
  6. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

The E-60 will have no problem with the 9', so will the E-47 actually. IF you do go with Meyer, spend the time to search for a C (which stands for Commercial?) type as they are much stronger & better built than the much more common ST versions. This should help you avoid the problems that SnoJob mentions. The problem with Meyer bashing is that most people are using the ST versions which are light duty plows not really made for commercial abuse that most of us put them through. They are a throw away part that one should expect to replace or repair often, IMO. As far as the pumps go they are simple units that are easy to maintain & repair & they work fine when maintained correctly. The problem is most people don't maintain their pumps, so they have problems with them, from what I've seen. Since I found a C-8 to replace my ST90 I haven't had to use my welder for plow repairs & am actually starting to miss repairing plows every other storm or so ;) Luckily I had a spreader issue with the last storm, so I got to smell burning metal again LOL.
    I don't think I've ever had to use the welder on the Fisher I have for repairs, its made for commercial use. I'm heading to the nearest wall now to knock on some wood LOL.
  7. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

BRL, you said it!

If I hadn't have read down to your post, my post would have read the same , word for word!

Get a C-8.

Its a bit heavier, but WELL worth it.

As BRL said, its the toy ST series that give Meyer the reputation on here.

Save the ST-90's for 1/2 Tons that plow a handfull of driveways a season.

If your making money with it and using it commercially, get the C-8.

I've had both, and speak from first hand experience.
  8. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

We run 8' and 8.5' Poly Commercial Meyer (not Meyers??????) plows with E-60 hydraulics which were purchased NEW.

They consistently operate just fine...................ALWAYS!

Not to mention NO welding repairs......... EVER, and no painting of the always rust free poly roll boards.

Actually the only weld we had performed was on a 7 year old 8' Western Pro steel plow....... go figure all you NON-Meyer using "just repeat what the other guy said" product bashers?

I would ask those of you that have had problems with Meyer products what are your maintenance schedules like and is the pump as old as you are (if so, what are your expectations?)

I am by no means saying MEYER makes the best plow/hydraulic combination available today. However, Meyer has a PROVEN footing with my company and it will remain until PROVEN otherwise!

Remember you get what you pay for!

9. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

Well, thats some encouragement. I know the Meyer line of products can't be that bad, I am not going to say they are the best, but I believe what ever works the best for the person is the best. How would I identify the ST and the C series?? I looked at them closely, but they are all repainted and there are no more decals. The person I am dealing with knows alot about plows. He is now running a meyer plow, and 2 Fisher plows. Including a 9' X blade(real sweet!). I was thinking about buying both the 9 and 7.5 and using them as I would need them. Welding is nothing, I don't do any welding myself, but have many friends that do, so I guess that would play a part in this whole aspect.....

Just going by the seat of my pants.......
  10. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

The c plows have 4 springs , a taller moldbaord, the sector has more beef to them and have longer angle rams. All 9ft meyers are cs but they do make cs down to the 7.5 . The 7.5 c that was on my 77 powerwagon was over 30'' tall . the newer cs are 28'' and the st's I think only 25'' tall. Hope that helps.
  11. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Dont forget the C's come with a 1/2" thick cutting edge vs the ST's 3/8".

All totalled the C's have about 125lbs more TOUGHNESS, if you want to call it that!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2002
  12. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

ST-90 or now called the ST-7.5

13. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I agree as well regarding the C series plows.
    However as far as reliablity goes with their pumps, just look at page 1 and 2 of the threads. Read how many, "help I have a problem with my meyers" threads there are. Now granted many may not be as diligent as they should be with maint. but these plows have to run in very harsh conditions, and they shouldnt be as tempermental as they seem to be.
  14. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

Once again....................

To know the FACTS before making a assumption is VERY important.

Pump maintenance is very important with ANY hydraulic power unit.

But we must realize that even a 10 year old+ hydraulic pump will need repair/overhaul eventually. The interesting fact is that MEYER pumps that are over 10 years old are still being used today, not to mention being purchased on the open market BY CHOICE, even with all of the other competing equipment available today. There are NOT MANY manufactures that have stood the test of time like MEYER has.

Again, MEYER plow systems have a few miniscule imperfections ........... LIKE ANY PLOW SYSTEM AVAILABLE TODAY, but you must admit to make it 75 years in the plow/hydraulic manufacturing business is NOT to be ashamed of.....TO SAY THE LEAST!