1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Used MAGic treated salt for the first time

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by CPSS, Dec 7, 2003.

1. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

We used the MAGic treated salt for the first time today after the big Northeast storm. We set the spreader gate down about half of what we were using it with regular rock salt. The temperature was 17 degrees, overcast, with no sun. Applied the product to 6 parking lots, ranging in size from a small quick lube type of place, to a huge Catholic church. Went back to the first one after finishing the last one, (about an hour), as we usually need to add a little salt in some areas, and was susprised to see bare, wet, black pavement! Went to the other sites and found the same results! Remember, I personally set the gate down about halfway. So far, I'm convinced. Less product, better results!:drinkup:

2. HerkFE

HerkFE Member

That is great to hear! I was glad that you tried Magic. We used quite a bit of treated salt and liquids through this storm. Did some pre-treating for other snow contractor clients and our own lots. We plowed with the storm in some places but others guys waited and pushed at the end. They were amazed to see that after pushing the 12"+ of snow the pavement was "black and wet" underneath. One pass with the 14' pusher and they were done. The residual on the pavement burned off most of the tailings, etc. We close out gates about 1/2 way also and love the results! Less trips to the pile means staying out of the cold too!!!

We did some experimenting with different combinations of liquid only, magic salt only, together and application rates. It was great. We burned off the last 2 inches or so. During the Sat evening lull we cleaned everything up and laid down salt pretty heavy (regular gate) because the forecast was for 1-2 inches in the overnight and we were going to leave just a clean up guy. It was great! The snow burned off as it landed and the resulting mixture was tracked by other cars throughout the lots. No plowing but we get paid by the inch so we made out pretty well.

Pete :D

3. Michael F

Michael F Senior Member

Glad to here. Its nice to see that someone has good luck with it. I couldn't get them to deliver it. Waited amost two weeks. TOTAL NIGHTMARE, I even called & left a message with Talconic for John Parker to call me....still no call. I don't know.

4. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

The company that makes it is in Rome, NY. Thats pretty close to you isn't it? I bought the MAGic liquid from Taconic. Went down with 4- 55gal drums and they filled them. Sprayed our salt pile and mixed it with a loader. We did about 25 tons of salt.