1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Used F-250 with or without plow?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by MadRiver, Nov 2, 2005.

1. MadRiver

MadRiver Junior Member

I'm looking to buy a used F-250 to use as my personal plow truck, and as a sometimes daily driver. I live in a very rural area in Vermont, and have a 1/4 mile driveway, and need to be able to get out whenever I want, so I'd rather be able to take care of my own plowing, and maybe do a few neighbors drives to get extra $.

I have a F-150 with a Fisher Minute-Mount that did the job last year, but isn't really roadworthy past my driveway.

My question: Do I buy a truck with a plow already installed, or a truck without a plow and have one put on?

My inclination is to by a truck without the plow and have one installed. My assumption would be that a truck that hasn't had a long history of plowing should have less wear and tear overall.

In a previous post I asked about Curtis plows and got a pretty positive response. A local dealer will install a Curtis 8' plow for $3300. Seems pretty reasonable compared to quotes I got from Fisher dealers.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom for this NB.
  2. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

get a truck without a plow. Especially if you say you live in a rural area, I'm guessing there might be a lot of rough roads, and gravel roads and driveways. Plus you never know how harsh the previous owner was.
  3. nekos

nekos Senior Member

i bought my truck with a plow on it .
    i have had no major problems with it , the only work that has been done and needed to be done was minor every day stuff that all car's/ trucks need.

anyway if you buy a used truck with or with out a plow , have a mechanic < one you have used before and trust > check it out before you buy it.

if the dealer trys to talk you out of bringing it to your mechanic ... RUN , the truck has major problems and the dealer knows it !
  4. bow hunter

bow hunter Junior Member

NO plow buy a truck from a guy who used it as a toy, not a Tool,My tools are a lot more worn than my toys.:cool:
  5. westwind

westwind Member

:cool: without is always the safer bet.