1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Used Crew Cab Purchase

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by HD61CUIN, Dec 6, 2003.

1. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

I am not looking to start a war here, but I am looking to get a used 97-2002, 250/2500, Diesel, short bed, preferably without a plow. I will be adding a Western 8.5 Ultramount.

I have been to the Chevy,Ford and Dodge topic sessions here. What are some recommendations to be looking for with each of these. It has been noted on most sites the front springs need to be beefed up. What are the codes that I look for to determine if the beefed up springs are on these trucks. How do I determine if the plow prep package was installed on these trucks. I am not worried about plowing with a Diesel 2500/250. As I have read most of the comments at the topic areas.
  2. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

Central Parts Warehouse is in your town, I would take your truck to them and ask them what they recommend.
  3. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

If its a chevy/gmc look at the rpo codes in the glove box for VYU. that is the plow prep option.
  4. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

Just a note to say Central Parts is a bit pricy. There is a place a bit out of that area Ken something or other. Do a search for plow sales in IL, I was going to Central Parts myself till I saw this place,,,,
  5. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

Follow up on this:

I have quoted the Central Parts Warehouse...... I was looking at a "C" plow at the time and the ower over there, Bill, was a great guy and helped me out. He quoted me $4100 for a 9' "C" plow.

I was still shopping when I found out about 45 minutes away I could get it for $3600 from here

I just check the site and in the last month it has actually moved up to $3900!!!

OK well wow that is new to me. I am just saying check both places. If I needed parts or help Central Parts was much more helpfull though.
  6. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Even with the snow plow prep, doesn't the GM family start to bottom out with a plow attached to the front. I have read here of people adjusting the torsion bars in the spring and winter. I really don't care to be doing this every year. I like a stiff riding truck year round. I drove an F250 with the X code springs and it handled great year round. I am looking at using an 8' or 8'6 Western Ultramount