1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

used car dealer issues. think im being unreasonable?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bribrius, May 16, 2007.

1. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

so i bought this chevy some of you have seen in the pics over the last couple weeks. 2000 1500 silverado. came with a plow. paid 14k. (or 13k they gave me a extra k on trade in). then i bought the extended warrantee for 1600 dollars.
    i wanted them to fix two things. the rear brakes and the yoke in the drivetrain. truck was vibrating when stopping and had the clunk noise in when taking off and shifting so wanted to get the updated yoke. dealer said they wouldnt cover yoke. ;long as yoke didnt break no coverage. but said they would cover rear brakes. then said they would just turn down rear brake disc. then said they wouldnt cover rear brakes at all.
    said they met inspection requirements.
    the disc have grooves in them.and judging by the feel are warped. if they turn them down they will be under spec. so they have to be changed out. they figured they would just refuse to fix it. told me i didnt pay for what was wrong on the truck i traded in that needed to be fixed (tierod, heater fan switch, shocks), so why should they pay for what is wrong with the one i bought. said i was being unreasonable and it wasnt a new truck so i should expect things wrong with it. that they already replaced the lower ball joints before i took delivery of it.

i told them i was going to another dealer. they responded by saying the extended service agreement i had required that to go to another dealer for repairs under the warrantee i have to go forty miles outside the area. i didnt want to deal with them so i cancelled the extended service agreement i had bought and left. am i being unreasonable? the dealer is marc motors.
  2. payton

payton Senior Member

well you did buy a truck thats 7 years old. hell on new cars they wont warrnaty the brakes.

the yoke well thats a different story but the brakes are one of those consumable items they wont fix. just like tires. oil. gas. now if you had made claim b4 buying the truck on the brakes and they had agreed to fix it. then you might have a leg to stand on.

when we bought the wifes grand prix it was a lil over a year old with 13k on the od. wife drove it said she liked it but wanted me to drive it which i honestly wasnt gonna do. i got tothe road turned around took it back said the brakes were ****. and i wouldnt touch the car the way it sit. they took it in and checked the brakes. said there shop was too busy to do the brakes that day. so it was going to big o tires down the road for a complete break job. i saw the bill after it got back. 4 new rotors new pads new calipers. all in all i honestly didnt expect it. but was happy in the end.

sounds like the dealer in your case just wants to be a complete ass.
  3. bribrius

i didnt ask them to fix it before the sale. but they did say they ran it through the shop and the brakes were fine. i actually had it at another garage right after i bought it for undercoat, spray in bedliner. it was the other shop that told me the rear brakes had issues. i had only put eighty miles on the truck since i bought it. then i called the dealership i bought it from and they said they would take care of it. which of course when i brought it in they refused to. i think for now on the only time im going to a dealer is for a brand new vehicle. for used vehicle sales its a waste of paying the thousands of dollar markup.
  4. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I don't know about Maine, but around here there is a usually a 30 day all inclusive dealer warranty on any vehicle sold. I know when I bought my '01 F250 a few months ago the brakes were bad. The dealer has some mix up and didn't replace them before I got the truck. The brakes felt warped, so i brought it back in a few weeks later and they replaced them for me (my extended warranty does not cover brakes, but they still fixed them).
  5. bribrius

situation resolved. i went somewhere else and had a brake job done. took the rotors and pads back to the dealer who refused to replace them and left them on the desk. they arent reimbursing me but it still made me feel better. not worth the headache arguing with them. i just wont go back.
  6. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Word of mouth advertising.......weather good or bad is the most powerful thing any service business has working for/against them. The best thing to do is what you did, walk away. It will hurt them more if someone you know is thinking about buying from them and you tell your story.......
  7. snow problem

snow problem Senior Member

I never heard of a warranty like that, have to travel 40 miles away. That was not a MFG, warranty was it? Somthing about rear brakes and chevys, my 2500 HD need rotors and brakes after 3,000 miles, thought back brakes were lasted longer then front brakes.
  8. DeereFarmer

I think you did the right thing bribrius. Better just to walk away and get the problem solved then drag it out. I'm sure you'll be able to find people to tell not to go there!
  9. bribrius

extended warrantee

is technically useless anyway. after reading mine that i paid for it says any vehicle equipped or used for plowing cannot be covered. yet i was sold the warrantee. :dizzy:

dont matter now. i cancelled it and eventually , hopefully, they get around to refunding my money for the warrantee. (though i think we will have a battle over just what they owe me since they want to charge a cancellation fee and for mileage even though i only had it for two weeks)

whatever. should get something from it back in six weeks or so they said.

if i were you all with extended warrantees i would check the language on plow trucks carefully. and remember, just because the dealer claims it on warrantee despite the plow doesnt mean next time he wont tell you your not covered because hes pissed at you.
    thats what i was worried about !!!!! :redbounce and the fact i hate that dealer now. HAHAHAHAHA:)
  10. DeereFarmer

Most warranties cover the parts unless the broken part was because of what has been done to the truck (mods, plows, lifts, etc...). Of course it is up to the dealer to make that call, so you know anything that goes wrong with your truck is directly linked to the plow!
  11. bribrius

payup well. ive called them three times. sent a email. called the state police to review there inspection procedures (the truck i bought shouldnt have passed without them fixing the brakes).. im about to send them a bill and sue them. 1617 for the full refund on the extended warrantee. 257 for what i paid for the brakes. just under ....nineteen hundred i guess they should be paying me. and for some reason the man wont take my phone calls. im leaving messages. hmmm.
    warrantee company says they just oversee it that they dont actually have my money . the dealership puts the money in a reserve. dealership has it. dealership said i i get a partial refund back in six weeks a few days ago. so what am i waiting six weeks for? nothing! there just giving me a run a round. and why a partial refund? because they are stealing from me?

if they worked on the truck and gave me a bill and i said "gee, ill pay you part of it in about six weeks or so" , how do you think it would go over? not good. so whats the difference? i didnt tell them i would pay them the money in six weeks when i bought the warrantee. hell, the bank paid the truck and warrantee the same day and i paid the bank back in full a week after.
    not that its a lot of money but I WANT MY MONEY. its the point of it. think ill buy a automatic redialer and have it calling them ten times a day. im going into bill collector mode.

come to think of it though i sued somone for money they owed me four years ago twice (4800 dollars) and still havent received a single payment ....ended up referring it to a collection agency which they didnt pay either. some people just suck.

and to think i try so hard to get along with people and work things out.... i would have only asked them for half the money on the brakes and let them charge me the cancellation fee if they didnt blow me off the first time i went there over it. ANY DEALERS on this board i would love to have your opinion over it.
    by the way the dealership in this unfortunate case is MARC MOTORS IN SANFORD MAINE. and although i cant outright slander them i am saying that im not sure they pay there bills (at least in my case and in a case on the better business bureau website) and will soon be putting a sign in front of the dealership or in the local newspaper (but not a slanderous one) briefly stating this problem. i just have to call the insurance company back and make sure my umbrella insurance policy is in effect before i get to involved in this. HAHA
    Last edited: May 19, 2007
  12. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

the fact that you paid that much for the truck says you didnt do your research before hand, most extended warrenties are a joke anyways