1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

used buyer salt spreader

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mr.greenjeans89, Nov 30, 2008.

1. mr.greenjeans89

mr.greenjeans89 Junior Member

i bought a used buyers receiver mount spreader and its the 1st one ive ever bought.Anyway i think i might have fried the control box in the wiring process.I was given no instruction manual.I know it worked b 4 cuz i tested it.I grounded my motor,ran red wire into cab to box,grounded it,but every time i tried to hook the wire from box to battery up the wire would start to get real hot unless i had the box turned on.If i hooked it up when it was off it got hot if it was turned to on and spinning it didnt get hot.Anyway just wondering if anyone can help on this and where can i get a instruction booklet and possibly a different control box,used

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

3. mr.greenjeans89

Yes basher i did do that.I did spin poperly using the control box.I can still go straight from motor to battery and it works but i have to bypass the box.But the box did work b 4

4. mr.greenjeans89

i think i went red to motor and orange to battery,would that fry it

5. tgaskill

tgaskill Junior Member

6. mr.greenjeans89

yeah i wondered if other controllers would work

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yes that could:nod:, but have you tried hooking them up correctly? it could be OK. If not consider a Karrier unit. Better quaility and features, it will improve the the proformance of your spreader.

8. mr.greenjeans89

im gonna try hooking themup the rite way but i do think i fried it,i can smell electrical burn inside the box.Karrier ive never heard of it,whats that box run

9. mr.greenjeans89

another dumb question basher,it has a white wire thatsgos to ignition,i have anther wire to the ignition fuse that runs my western joy stick,do i tie into that or would that not be smart

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

There are no dumb questions:nono:

You could but I like separate fuses for everything. Only one unit goes out at a time and troubleshooting is easier, a real plus in the middle of a storm.

As for Karrier we're a dealer or you can go to their web page direct. The omega is a great unit and really will improve the proformace of the spreader particularly if used in conjunction with a Rhino harness although that is not required. There are cheaper units out there but once you have to buy another one the savings are gone, and Omega will out last your spreader. Unless you fry it first:jester:

http://www.karrierco.com/cgi-bin/sh...start=0&template=Templates\SearchResult1.html

11. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

i had the same thing happen to 2 of their controllers ans they are designed poorly. i just used the main red power from the battery to one side of a switch, and the other power going to the motor on the otherside. All you do is eliminate the blade and speed function. The boxes inside have a circuit board that tends to short out after awhile.

12. mr.greenjeans89

how much is one of your boxes basher,and probably your cheapest kind for it is a used unit and i do not want over do it,if you can give me a better deal ill buy one from you,i found a new box for a buyers identical to mine and its 150,i was hoping a little cheaper.:D