1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

use of winch when snow plowing

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by tom248, Jul 30, 2008.

1. tom248

tom248 Junior Member

I'm new to all of this. the instructions that came with my winch where very poor when it came to explaining just how to use the winch when snow plowing with my atv. i can figure
    out how to raise my plow but how does one lower it. do i have to get off the atv and use the manual free stool? or what. again i am new to all this

2. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

you should able to move your winch cable in and out via the switch that powers the winch to turn in one direction, Pushing the Switch the other way lets the cable out of the winch and the opp is to pull the cable into the winch.

let the cable out the plow goes down at the same rate that it was raised in. To get off and due the Manual free spool would pretty much drop the plow from height onto your feet which would not be very pleasent at all.

What brand of Winch due you have?

sublime out.

3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

sould be able to run the winch the reverse dirrection, to let the cable out

4. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i would guess he has one of these thing's......in whitch case, yeah you have to lower it manually.

if this is the one you have i would deffanatly buy something different

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  5. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

ummm, rewire?

6. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i dont know why you couldnt just wire in up a DPDT swithch and throw the factory P.O.S. away.......those cheap winches like that, that i have seen don't even have a soloid. they just have a mtor about the size of a power window motor, and deep deep gear reduction......alot of times theyll advertise "3000lb winch" but in the fine fine print theyll say "rolling load".....lol

PJ

7. g.moore

g.moore Senior Member

If your gonna start plowing with your quad, go buy some of the cable splicers, kinda horsehoe shaped with a nut on each end and a steel plate that clamps the winch line (Someone here will know the proper name) and a 5/16 nut driver. You will snap a cable about every week or so and once you get the hang of it you can do the repair in about 5 minutes.