1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Use of water softner salt?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by btlawncare, Nov 15, 2015.

1. btlawncare

btlawncare Junior Member

Does anyone use the Diamond brand water softener salt through your tailgate spreaders. I have heard the difference between that and rock salt is size. I use bagged salt because I'm not sure if bulk can be used through the spreader. Also, the Diamond is cheaper per bag than the rock salt.

2. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Grain size consistency is what you need. Common bulk road salt is coarser than bagged rock salt on average (probably higher moisture content also) - flows slower thru our Boss tailgate spreader and we added a vibrator to get it to flow, but it worked.

The only softener salt I've seen are pellets like half thumb size and too big.

Salt is just plain salt - you need grain size that works and the size of bulk and bagged works..........

3. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare Member

Solar naturals work really well. It is just even sized clean rock salt

4. btlawncare

btlawncare Junior Member

That's the kind I'm thinking of. I just didn't want to buy a skid and if find out it doesn't work well. Also, I've heard it is a little more forgiving. As far as when it is dragged indoors.

5. btlawncare

btlawncare Junior Member

So even though the spreader has the grading to prevent bigger chunks from getting in, with the higher moister content it will form big chunks more so than the bagged salt?

6. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare Member

I don't know about the indoors but last year we ran out of bagged from our distributor and can't run bulk through a tgso5 so I tried a little then bought a pallet. It was also cheaper last year. It was fantastic for pretreating lots as the cars would crush it in but for post treat I preferred the regular bagged for the different sizes

7. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Yea, it seemed to me that the moisture was what caused it to rat hole out. Vibrator solved that problem.

We never measured it, but flow out of THAT spreader was inconsistent with bulk - the 900# Boss tailgate, we used it one year like that. Worked great with bagged, just didn't like bulk.

8. btlawncare

btlawncare Junior Member

Two places I have require pre salting so I just might get some. I was thinking of a mix too. Not sure though. Just kind of want to know my options as well. I don't want to be stuck without. Thank you

9. btlawncare

btlawncare Junior Member

Thanks for the heads up. I almost thought about trying bulk but I think I will stick with bags. If I priced the apps right I will do pretty good. Appreciate the help.

10. RIRAM2500HD

RIRAM2500HD Senior Member
    from 02914

I'm going to have to try this stuff in my TGS 600 spreader.