1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Use of Lawn Tractor

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by WC Plowing, Nov 7, 2008.

1. WC Plowing

WC Plowing Junior Member

I have several new residential accounts that require sidewalk removal. Has anyone used a lawn tractor with a plow for this? My main concern is getting it back up the ramps into my pick up and also plowing with the truck with the lawn tractor in the back. Any advice?? Trying to avoid using my walk behind blower for these sidewalks.
    Thanks

2. dunlaps lawncare

dunlaps lawncare Senior Member

i have before but never loaded it on a pickup

3. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

don't use pick up for that.

Too much work and very danger if it slip on ramp.

best is invest in small trailer.

What kind tractor you talk about?

4. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i have. lawns tractors are a pita. lol
    I stopped using the ramps and just pick up the front of it and put it on the tailgate then pick up the back and push it in the bed of the truck. Only on special circumstances i prefer not loading lawn tractors on a regular basis.
    i never tried the ramps in snow nor would i want to. rather avoid it.;)

5. WC Plowing

WC Plowing Junior Member

I plan on doing all the driveways with my truck...I have a Sno Way blade on it. But, everyone of course wants their walks done. My 22" snowblower is older and slow, so thought I might put a 42" blade, chains, and weights on my JD 120. Just trying to do these sidewalks faster. Trailering it isn't an option because of the plowing I do. Just wondered if anyone tried loading a small lawn tractor in the snow and also plowing with it in the bed of the truck.

6. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

Let me put it this way use a trailer if your going to move any pice of small equipment that you cant safetly lift with one or to guys. Trailers are closer to the ground come will alot shallower angle of entry and departure you will thank me the day you see somebody on thenews getting crushd by a quad or large snowblower falling off the ramps.

7. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

Try a shovel or a single stage blower.

8. progressivelawn

progressivelawn Member

to be hounst with u u should consider a preem a green ride on spreader carrier it hooks right in to ur hich kinda like a motercycle carrier?

9. hondarecon4435

hondarecon4435 Senior Member

you shouldnt have a problem with ramps as long as you get some good ones like a tri fold set that has decent gaps in between the cleets so the tractor can get a good bite just make sure the gaps arent to big for the tractor tires to get across. however i dont suggest using a tractor for sidewalks you will be limited to about 10" or less before you lose traction an atv would be much more practical for you or just a new reliable snowblower

10. capnsac

capnsac Member

Go with the Toro single stage 2450gtr. These are basically the same as the 3650, has the same amount of horsepower and everything, it's only fault from the 3650 is it can't throw snow an extra foot....ladeeeFRICKINdaaaaaa. Oh, you save about 200-250 over the 3650, depends on your dealer. That extra foot or two must be worth a pretty penny! Just my .02, pun intended.

11. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

two thing that you may not want to get into
    serious ramps and serious tires
    ramps can be as much as $500 and ATV or tractor style snow tires. We've only dumped the Bobcat skidsteer off the loading ramps once in 14 years (That was exciting enough:yow!:)It would take cleaned metal ramps, good traction, and a skilled operator to load and unload under storm conditions

In regards to JD's and pick-up trucks We use an F725 with a 47" thrower that ramps up onto a flat deck SRW pick-up. The JD just got new snow tires this October. The ramps are held to the back of the truck with 5/8th's linch pins. You could actually drive down the road with the ramps pinned on and not lose them. They un-pin and ride along side the machine in transit. The JD is strapped to the truck deck with 3000# straps. It doesn't move. This system works for us but does take major effort to set up. On the other hand I end up with a 47" riding snowthrower on a plow truck

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  12. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Get a small trailer it will be much eisier. I have a 4x4 ATV and when it is slick it spins and slides on the ramp.

13. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

The only thing about trailers is they like to fishtail in the snow. Watch that. Last year I saw a guy take a corner, and the trailer whipped and hit a parked car with a lady in it. Then I had to stick around for a hour cause I witnessed it.

They have hitch reciever carriers that you can load things on. I bought one to mount to the back of my bobcat to carry around my new blower. They make models that will hold a riding lawn mower and have a ramp also, but you would have to check the measurements ect ect. They are similar to ones used for handicap carts.

I would agree however that the best option would be a single stage blower.

I will grab a pic of the hitch carrier I bought in the next day or two . Its pretty sweet.

14. WC Plowing

WC Plowing Junior Member

Thanks everyone....sounds like a single stage Toro wins!

15. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

. . . an excellent choicewesport

16. progressivelawn

progressivelawn Member

guys you cand hall a snowblower tractor on a perm agreen sprader reciver mount