1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

use of cuttingedge

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rmartin, Dec 2, 2003.

1. rmartin

rmartin Member
    from mass

i just installed a new cutting edge on my new fisher mm2 hd. I am now being told not to use it until i wear off atleast 1/2 inch on my blade. Is that correct? should i take it off?

2. harley hauler

harley hauler Senior Member

If it's a brand new blade like you say, then yes it's true what their telling you, reason is that your trip edge and you cutting are most likely the sane size or pretty close, so they will both wear done to nothing at the same time. And why is this bad because you don't want the trip edge to done to the spring bosses on the bottom of the blade, so wearing the trip down first makes the new cutting edge hang lower than the trip. and that's what you want to wear not the trip edge. Kind of rambled a little but think I got my point across

3. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I think breaking in the trip edge is a fallacy. bold on your cutting edge and use it, the cutting edge is much harder then the trip edge, and they'll both wear down together, keep an eye on the amount of wear and change the cutting edge when it gets worn and the plow will be like new.

Bill

4. hoot

hoot Senior Member
    from SE Pa.

:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

5. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

I put one on anyway. IMO it strengthens trip & adds weight to plow making it scrap better.

6. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Well, heres another opinion. We always use the plow the first season without the cutting edge. Bolt it on the second season, and then replace it when it is worn down to the base angle, usually every other year. That way the base angle never gets worn beyond the first season. A long time ago, we weren't as observent as now and wore the base angle and cutting edge down so far that the springs fell off! Now that gets expensive:yow!:

7. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

These plows were designed to be used without a cutting edge till they where about an 1 1/2" from the holes. Need to be careful not to wear down the spring anchors on back though. If you are going to be using it commercially it would not hurt to put it on now. Most people prefer to wear the base angle down a little first so that when they are plowing there is less surface on the ground that way it cuts into the ice better. Same weight on a thinner cutting surface equals better scraping.

8. hoot

hoot Senior Member
    from SE Pa.

Sure looks like a cutting edge bolted to the trip edge on my new MVP. If those two big black 3/8 x 6 plates aren't cutting edges what is?

9. edshipp19

edshipp19 Senior Member

western trip edges are smaller than the fishers at least on the V's

10. rmartin

rmartin Member
    from mass

i called fisher today. they told me that they recommend you use the plow without the cutting edge for up to a year. depending on the amount you plow. they said it allows the plow to wear down allowing for better coverage with the cuting edge. he said the bottom of the blade will do just as good of a job for the first year or so.

11. hoot

hoot Senior Member
    from SE Pa.

What are those black things bolted to the bottom?

[​IMG]

Also in the specifications it states 3/8 x 6 CUTTING EDGE

12. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I think the line "if your going to be using it commercially it would not hurt to put it on now" says it all, if I was to run my plow without an edge it might last 2-3 storms, a set of carbides only lasts a season.

Bill

13. edshipp19

edshipp19 Senior Member

Hoot, your Western factory trip edge is smaller than the one that comes on the Fisher, hence you get cutting edges from the factory. The plows are similiar, but not the same.

14. hoot

hoot Senior Member
    from SE Pa.

I appreciate you guys clearing that up for me. I assumed the blades were the same.

Is one better than the other?

15. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Meaning is it better to have the longer trip edge like on the fisher as apposed to the shorter one you can get on the western?

Only advantage to the longer edge is that you can go awhile before you have to buy a replacemmnt cutting edge. Beings I'm sure fisher dosnt knock a few bucks off the plow for not having cutting edges already installed it isnt a cost savings I'm sure so i guess its one less thing to assemble when you put your plow together?

That and they are yellow so they must be better :p

16. PROCUTSLAWNCARE

PROCUTSLAWNCARE Senior Member

Buy a meyers and you wont have a this problem! :p

17. hoot

hoot Senior Member
    from SE Pa.

ratlover..... the edge comes pre-assembled. :waving:

18. hoot

hoot Senior Member
    from SE Pa.

Problem;) It looks like my Western is normal... you know... comes with a cutting edge.

19. hoot

hoot Senior Member
    from SE Pa.

I thinks this plow is plenty....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]