1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Use of a dump truck on a big flat site

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DCJ inc., Sep 11, 2008.

1. DCJ inc.

DCJ inc. Member

We have an 1989 Ford L9000 with a deisel and a 10 spd trans. I am looking at a larger 3-5 acre site. Im playing with the idea of putting a plow on my dump truck. I was wondering if any one used a simular set up and what kind of plow is on the truck. This truck is not currently set up for a plow and would need everything. I would like to stay away from a used town set up. Im looking for set up simular to what goes on a pick-up but much bigger. can anyone give me some insite on this.

2. Snowplow71

Snowplow71 Senior Member

I currently use a dump truck. A 1991 International 9400 with a 10 foot Western Cable Driven style. The thing pushs and pushs and pushs. I use this truck before I call for the loader to come because of the speed and width of the blade. Lets just say in heavy wet snow, I can still take 1/2 the blade (could take more but its spills over, truck could probably push the whole blade width angled). It has a Cummins motor in it. Heat's awesome to. Only negitive is your left foot and right hand gets a tad sore!! Here's 2 pics, any questions don't be afraid to ask.
    Sorry the grill's down, brought all the trucks home and lowered it so we could wash everywhere possible. Also need to go to the junkyard and find a bumper to weld to the plow frame. Anyone tell that I need a cutting edge lol. It WAS brand new that year!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  3. DCJ inc.

DCJ inc. Member

i love those internationals. At some point ill own one. the truck im talking about is my old mans but he desided to go back to work for the union so shes gunna **** unless i use it. do u have any idea what a plow set up like that costs. what kind of weight do u put in it.

4. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

I use a 96 ln8000 for my company ride and it has a 12 ft flink.We bought the truck brand new and equiped it with the flink after looking at what the rated gvw of the biggest pickup type plow (western\meyer)and compared them to the trucks 33k gvw.Nobody makes a plow for that gvw except the heavy duty muni type plows.Even on our f800 we use flink.That truck had a meyer 10 ft and ended up folding under the wieght of the truck.But on the old ln ,no problems in over 12 hard years on it.Just food for thought.

5. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Most guys here use them. I just got my second inter tri axle. Will install a 14 foot Pro teck loader IST model. Will need to do some mods on it, I will post pics when its ready.
    You will have no problem pushing snow with them, they are very powerful. It helps if you add weight in the box. A 3 - 5 acre lot will be a piece of cake.

6. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

I use a former county rig, like the above posters its a International.
    I could tell you who to talk to for prices and setups if you lived in Michigan.

Anyway, the trucks work great just keep some weight in the back.

Here is my truck

[​IMG]

7. Snowplow71

Snowplow71 Senior Member

I do not have any idea what it costs. The weight, well it weighs A LOT. I have a 863 Bobcat skid steer and I can move it with that but you and stopping fast without tipping it. Oh yea, when your putting the plow on you use a floor jack. Its one of those plows that stay on all year and come off on April 1st. It's deffinetly not an Ultra Mount. Now that would be coolussmileyflag. I give western acouple years. It may not be the EXACT same Ultra but i bet its close to it just a lot of reinforcing!!!:redbounce

8. DCJ inc.

DCJ inc. Member

so.. i know this is a equipment forum. but anyway.. you guys all know what im dealing with . so do any of you have any words of wisdom about plowing with trucks like this.

9. DCJ inc.

DCJ inc. Member

10. SuperBlade

SuperBlade Member

there is this big truck yard a few miles away, $1250 for the sub frame, lights and frame, and the 11 ft state blade with power angle. the only other thing need is the live controls. im putting one on my 77 international single axle with a 350 cummings this year.

11. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

the dot here gives us greif about overwidth anyone else have aproblem

12. SuperBlade

SuperBlade Member

yea i've heard here in ohio too

13. SuperBlade

SuperBlade Member

i really plan to stay off the highways because most of my bids this year are really close

14. Neige

Neige Sponsor

15. DCJ inc.

DCJ inc. Member

yea this truck will stay on-site. i still have to go look at that plow but i figured forthe money he wants its at least worth going to look at

16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You have to show me pics of this when your done.:D

17. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i would think the 10 footer would be a little on the small side if i was guessing..... with a meduim duty 10' you'll be too slow vs a ton or ton and a half pickup running a 8.5-9' with wings...