1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Use my 4 port or go with a 3 port?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by icedman, Jan 17, 2016.

1. icedman

icedman Junior Member

Hello, looking for advice on which direction I should go based on what I have.

I just got a 2009 3 plug 7-1/2' Poly Ultra mount hooked up to my new 2011 Chevy 2500HD today. I have the complete 4 port ISO
    wiring setup from a 2004 1500 Dodge Ram. I also have the headlight harness for ports B and C on a 3 port ISO module.

Other than the 3 port module, what else would I need to buy to go that route? What can I reuse from my 4 port setup?

Quick match shows I would need to buy part numbers 28400 & 29420 & 28027-2 to get my headlights to work with the 4 port setup.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  2. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

What is the 3 port headlight harness from? Dodge? Pictures of the end that plugs into the headlights?

3. icedman

icedman Junior Member

The 3 port headlight harness I have should be part number 29400. It was on a 2014 Chevy 2500HD, and should work for my 2011. Connectors look the same.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Going from 4 port to 3 is easy. All you need is the module, headlight harness and adapter. According to quick match you have HB3/HB11 lights which means you need a pair of relays to prevent the plow high and low beams from coming on at the same time. You list a second adapter but you can just get headlight harness kit 29400-5 which comes with the adapter built in. If you already have a 29400 headlight harness you could use it but you will need the 28027 inline relay adapter (to eliminate high low beam on together)

For a clean install you need:
    29070-1 Isolation module
    29400-5 Headlight harness kit W/relays
    29047 Adapter to connect control harness to three system

These adapters can be a bit confusing. The 29047 adapter is required for any non-multiplex control harness to connect to any 3 port isolation module. On the four port module the control harness 10 pin connector plugs directly into the module but on the three port system that 10 pin plug connects to the headlight harness 4 pin plug. The 28027 is another adapter required if you have the 29400 headlight harness rather than the 29400-5. The -5 means it has the relays / adapter built in.

It is important that you have either a -5 or the inline relay adapter or your plow lights will burn out too frequently. The truck lights are quads, that is you have separated high and low beams. High and low are on at the same time in high beam mode. That causes the same to happen on the plow headlights; however, the plow has both high and low beam filaments in one bulb. If both filaments are on at the same time they get too hot and burn out or worse, melt the reflector.

The advantage of going to the 3 port module is future compatibility. Western continues to design new headlight harnesses every year for the latest headlight systems but only for the 3 port system. Consider LEDs and HIDs that will not be accommodated for the old 4 port module. You may be able to get your truck going with the 4 port now but eventually you will have to upgrade anyway so why not do it now.

This is getting complicated with all the different adapters and part numbers, I hope I got them right....

5. icedman

icedman Junior Member

Thank you for the information.

I played around some more with what I have. It looks like I do have the 29047 adapter already so I hooked the control wiring from port 1 into this adapter. This leaves me with just the port 2 connection left on the 4 port module. Is this cable reusable with the 29070-1 Isolation module, or does the module usually come with the cable that would go from port A to the plow?

I would probably be best off using the headlight harness I have with the relay adapter # 28027-2.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. mishnick

The cable in plug 2 of the 4 port module goes in plug A of the 3 port module. Nothing comes with the 3 port module except the module. If you buy the 29400-5 headlight harness kit you will get another one of those same cables that you have in plug 2 of the 4 port. It connects either module to the plow lights.

If I understand correctly you have a compatible headlight harness for the 3 port module but without the two relays... So yes, if that is true you still need the 28027-2 adapter with the two relays that isolate high and low beams.

7. mishnick

8. icedman

icedman Junior Member

Thank you, I have the full pdf and had seen that page. You have been a great help and I need to buy less than what I had expected I may need.

9. mishnick

Another tip.... the Western headlight sockets that the OEM light plugs connect to are bidirectional. They can plug in two ways. If one or more of your plow lights do not work you need to flip the corresponding truck light plug until all four plow lights work. (left and right, high and low beams). It can be a pain in the butt to get at those plugs. In some cases you need to pull a battery, battery tray and pry back the WW fluid tank on the left and the air filter on the right. Test your lights on the plow before you put everything together.

10. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Good tip no matter how easy or hard to get at the headlight connectors!

11. mishnick

This is only an issue on vehicles with four separate headlight bulbs. It is not an issue with any three pin bulbs, only two pin quad systems. Three pin bulbs are keyed so you can't plug them in incorrectly.

12. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

I thought the HB style headlight had two different ways to connect depending on which pin is the ground. Oh well no biggie!

13. icedman

icedman Junior Member

I do not have any details on the kit, as it came with the truck, but is there anything I should look out for regarding the HID headlights?

I assume things will work properly if the hid kit is wired after the plow harness.

[​IMG]

14. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Should be ok but I don't have any hands on experience with those.

15. mishnick

HID on the truck is no problem as far as I know. Just makes for a few more wires to work with. Still you only need touch the OEM plugs. Leave the rest alone.

16. icedman

icedman Junior Member

17. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

HID's will be fine. I have them in the truck and plow headlights on my truck.

18. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Yes, you have to have that for the plow to operate.

I would recommend a different type though. The quality does not seem to be as high on the unit you have posted compared the newest style western ones. They have just been known to fail in a shorter period of time.

Western Part Number is 56131K-2

This is a better solenoid.

19. mishnick

You certainly need the motor relay / solenoid! This is what turns your motor power on and off.

20. icedman

icedman Junior Member

I am learning as I go! I guess I assumed this functionality was on the plow itself.