1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Us verses them

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowinjoe, Mar 4, 2005.

1. snowinjoe

snowinjoe Senior Member

The first pic is their lot and the second ours. Both are grocery stores, the one we do is bigger and busier but the other one has parking for more stores as its in the middle of downtown. They use a backhoe with a blade and two loaders one with a blade one with the bucket. We use a dodge with front and back blade and the versatile.

The biggest difference in these lots are the salt vs. sand. We used straight salt they used 15%salt sand mix. We got our first load of salt in 2 weeks ago and have try'd it a few times. Everyone up here uses the same mix. The owner of the store says he doesn't mind the extra charge and likes the lack of sand on his floors. I think with a bit of work we could secure a lot more jobs using straight salt.
  2. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

JOE..........They get what they pay for ! That bare lot sure looks good!

Hey..Is that a Amish buggy in that 1st pic? Is there a community of them up your way?................geo :drinkup:
  3. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

Is that a horse and buggy in the first picture?
  4. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

You will be very happy with straight salt
  5. snowinjoe

snowinjoe Senior Member

Yes those are horse and buggy's. They are Mennonite not Amish. There is a large community all around us. Every store, doctors office and hospital has tie ups for the horses. I drove them around a few years ago when I was in between jobs. I'd take them to the city for appointments and stuff. My father in law still drives them around to supplement his pension. Hes got a Ford F350 with the club cab. He hauls around a cement crew. In the morning he picks them up and takes them to the job site and at night drives them back home again. Very nice people.
  6. snowinjoe

snowinjoe Senior Member

So far no complaints with the salt. Any one know what temp. it wont work at. Even the highway guys up here use a mix.
  7. Chainlink

Chainlink Member
    from Vermont

I notice the store says no frills.....I guess he meant just inside.
  8. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

salt-untreated good to about 0 degrees F
    salt treated good to about -25 degrees F
    around here all we use is salt.
  9. snowinjoe

snowinjoe Senior Member

Thanks 84diesel is that out side temp or pavement temp. I read on the MTO web site for my area that they switch to a mix at -12 degrees c pavement temp. is that about the same.
  10. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Do you consider that first pic acceptable? My contract with the local mall is giving me fits. The whole lot looks like that except for the main roads in and out and they consider that good enough. I wish somone would sue them pennypinchers so they could see my point of view. A parking lot at busy places should be BARE in my book. what do you think guys?
  11. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Alot of people are not willing to spend the money. Others feel really strongly about the environment and how roadsalt affects it.

Personally, I think the whole Slip/Fall/Sue process is absolute BS.

Think about it... people choose to live in a place where snow falls. You choose to either be properly equipped for the weather, or you choose to move somewhere else. You choose to wear proper clothing and footwear for the conditions, or you choose the consequences of not doing so. You choose to enter private property that has snow or you choose to go somewhere else that has bare asphalt. If a landowner chooses to plow snow to make it more attractive for customers, then that is his choice because he will not be in business long if he doesn't as no one will come. If he chooses to improve his 'attraction' to people by salting, that is his choice as well. But no one is forcing people to be on that property, so it should be the responsibility of the individual to look out for themselves. Its not like they can't see that it is winter. If a place doesn't look safe to you, why would you go there? Do we really need to tell people not to climb in the alligator pit at the zoo? Let me rephrase that, SHOULD we really need to?

This world we live in is a really screwed up place. The laws protect the stupid and the lazy while screwing the hard working man.

That is the reality of things.

I'm off my soapbox now. Just in a real foul rant-and-rave mood because of someone lastnight.... ;)
  12. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

Don't tell your customers all this I want to charge for salt! You should want to charge for salt, it is more profitable than plowing.
  13. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Oh don't get me wrong, I like charging for salt too! It's really just BS the way our world works though...
  14. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

Here in the Pittsburgh area, I EASILY make more money salting than plowing. If we plow, we also salt as does everyone else here. I have only a handful of accounts that are plow only (2" or more). Anytime we even get a dusting everyone is out salting. Same with state and township road crews.
  15. Tay

Tay Junior Member

I agree. If you live in a snow area expect it! We have a parking lot that gets no salt. Everyone who uses it knows about it. We get 85+ in. per year of snow and the lake affect is bruttal. Frankly, I think we use too much of it. OK but if that is what the customer wants and you can convince him of it go for it...it is more proftable on a per hourly basis than plowing.