1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

US Post Office bids

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by FourDiamond, Sep 19, 2014.

1. FourDiamond

FourDiamond Senior Member

I just a got our bid packet for five local post offices. All are what I call "mom and pop" locations, very small lots or none at all. So most of the work is shoveling of steps, handicap entrances etc. In the past the work was done once the snowfall exceeded one inch. The new bid specs have work to be performed when the snowfall exceeds 3 inches. I find it hard to swallow that they are going to let that much snow pile up in the steps and sidewalks before we can do our job. Anyone else doing this type of work and if so what are your thoughts.

2. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

I would pass. They want you to wait till 3" piles up and then perform service. And I bet they want you to sign a contract stating your liable for all slip and falls etc.. No thanks

3. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

i would do it under your terms which are that youre not liable for any slip and falls

4. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

How did you get the bid package? I'm interested in a few locations local to me but cannot figure out how.

5. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

USM has the post offices. Good luck.

6. FourDiamond

FourDiamond Senior Member

The post offices in our area at least, are doing away with the full time postmasters, and are staffing the small branches with part time labor. A full-time postmaster in a larger central hub is now responsible for all maintenance issues and things like that. We are fortunate enough to have done work for the some of the larger hubs in the past, so they contacted us. As far as the USM issue, I don't know. The offices we do are small potatoes to some of the facilities the USPS has. Easiest way to find out is talk to your local postmaster.

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Just stop in and ask. I do one and they have to pay by credit card.

8. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I don't deal with the local postmaster regarding contract.Its handled by the post offices division that handles all the purchasing,contract labor,outside maintainance etc out of San Mateo.3 yr contract that gets renewed without any new bids,they even increase rates on their own, pay interest if they mess up.I don't do sidewalks, they do in-house by maintenance staff.My contract is for .5 -3 3.1-6 etc. I plow regardless of depth by 4:30 am,salt heavy if still falling and return in evening after everyone has left.At 1pm. I come and plow when all the carrier trucks are out for delivery.If its snowing heavy I'll plow and salt travel lanes and custumer lot.It's a 1k lot so I keep them happy! I'm in my 15th year. Talk to pm, see how its handled,seems like I'm the only one that deals direct with central purchasing? Thought it would all be handled the same? Could be the size though,the two I do were over 22 k last year.

9. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

They had them 2 seasons ago.. bid was "seasonal" on a major distribution center in central/south NJ... went for $20-30k.. I laughed, it was a $100k+ site annually.

10. SnowOps

SnowOps Junior Member

I do one here in upstate NY, I got it by talking to the postmaster, but then I had to deal with Washington about payment, a pain to set up, but once it was, very easy to deal with. Raised their price this year due to the work they requested after signing last year, they mumbled a little, but still signed and approved it.

11. SnoDaddy

SnoDaddy Senior Member
    from ohio

NPS in Ohio too. Handled out of CO, just talked to our USPS bosslady. They went to the darkside for "less paperwork"