1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Us Maintenance..Bastards!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hotshot4819, Feb 25, 2009.

1. hotshot4819

hotshot4819 Senior Member

I have been plowing 2 rite aids and 2 bank of americas for them. payments have been great, they have been paying there monthly amounts on time as well as the haulings.

Not getting overly rich, but so far the account hasnt lost me any money. have actually gained to good work from people seeing me at the banks.

These are by far my cheapest and least important accounts tho.

My problem is, i did a little damage to one of the rite aids, corner of building. they called a guy to fix it, just happens that i know the guy that fixed it. i got the bill from usm and it came to 2450, i called the guy to verify how much he charged and he only charged 800 bucks.
    They are trying to screw me for all that extra money.
    Gave me the option of Taking it out of my future payments or putting it on my insurance.

I think im going to tell them my insurance needs to see the original reciept from the contracter so they can verify the bill. See what they say about that..

Am i out of place for being pissed?
  2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Ya if ya get along with the contractor , get him (if he doesnt mind never be able to work for them again) to give you a copy of his bill and start from there
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Ask for a copy from US first telling them your going to submit it to your insurance. Then write them a check out of pocket.
  4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Just one of the many little tricks they come up with to make money. Although you have to be fair to those little guys like US Maintenance. I mean a 300% mark-up is only fair, lol.
  5. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

That's pretty sick.
  6. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

Contractors here that work for them here are getting the run around on payment. Usm claims they have to do mid winter damage inspections before releasing any funds. This is obviously complete bull$hit as they require 2 million in liab. insurence. You are plowing for the worst people on planet earth! I love when they call my office to offer us work, i tell them we require a $2000. retainer from them, as we know all about their reputation. I would sleep in an alley and eat bugs before i would work for them, but they dont know that, and it always makes my day to bust their balls!
  7. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

I work for them (usm) and I only have 1 million of coverage and they are paying me in a resonable time frame.You just have to call and remind them thats all.
  8. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

They called me last year and asked me to bid.... no wait, they called and told me how much they would pay me to do a Target store. I want to say it was around $12,000 for the year including salt on the lot, calcium within 100 feet of the main entrance, moving and removing snow if it becomes necessary, and I can't take up more than 5% of parking spaces with snow removal. This was around the middle of December and we already had 7-8 storms dumping like 30 inches of snow. I figured whoever agreed to do it for $12,000 per year walked away from them after the kind of snow we were getting.

Needles to say I told them they were nuts. THEY FOUND SOMEONE TO DO IT THOUGH!
  9. IA snoman

IA snoman Senior Member
    from Ia

I was getting ready to ask who else worked for them. I got a call from them today saying that my check was in the mail. Too bad it goes clear back to November. The pay they offered is ok but payment history so far is hideous. They kept jerking me around on my insurance as well. They allowed me do 500,000 on the insurance, but asked to be listed as additional insured and wanted to add some B.S. verbage with it. My agent told me no insurance company would comply. They even told me that they were having problems with what they were asking for but still requested it. They changed it three times and wouldn't release payment until they got what they wanted. BUT... they did have a certificate showing I DID have insurance and they wanted me to continue service. I tell u what, these MGMT companies are getting real old really fast!:realmad::gunsfiring:
  10. hotshot4819

hotshot4819 Senior Member

got usm to email me the invoice they recieved from rite aid. usm didnt add anything, nor did rite aid. the company that handles the repairs, added 20 hours of labor at 75 an hour for communications between rite aid and the contracter they hires...id like to see the person on the phone make 75 an hour..

OH BOY an i fighting the crock of ****. will be on the phone with the people that is hired from rite aid that is resposible to hire the poeple to actually fix the job.
  11. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Watch out for the middleman, I remember when I was trucking and needed the transport and trailer hauled into London Ontario for repairs. :cry: It was towed about a distance of 50 miles. The bill was 750 bucks. :nod: The tow truck driver asked me if I wanted to pay the bill at the shop or pay him right away. I said I'll pay ya right now. :nod: Later he told me that if I let the shop charge for the towcall they would of added 200 to 300 bucks on top of the 750.:angry: He said dont tell em I told ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  12. McGaw

McGaw Senior Member

I used to work at a garage (Euro Transport).
    From what I remember, they added a far bit to your bills if they had to get up in the middle of the night, unless they were his own trucks.
    Always pay in cash to the tow truck driver, and always pay your bil to the mechanic, you can always fight it later.
  13. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

I have worked for USM a few times and fortunately it has never been a bad experience.

With that said, I have always done "emergency" type work for them. I have not done recurring services.

I have never had to go through the bid or contract process. usually they call my company when they have some off the wall thing they need done yesterday, like a tree down, or a broken concrete step at an entrance. Stuff like that.

In those cases, i fax or email them the estimate, they give me a work order number. When the job is done I call the 1-800 number and close the work order. Then I get my check in a couple of weeks.

I have checked out the pricing for recurring services and found it below what I charge so I have not pursued those contracts.
  14. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Tell them that you want to turn it in to your insurance. Then inform your insurance company of the non legit charges. They more than likely will call it fraud and get their investigators and adjusters looking into it. No way would I pay that bill out of my pocket.
  15. tutianoburgante

tutianoburgante Member

USM is a very ugly company to work for we have worked for them for years. They haved tried everything in the book to attempt to scam us. I feel your pain, this should be a message to everyone of what a company like this can and will do to you. If we all stick together we can make a difference in how these large companies come into our home towns and communities and treat us this way. I like to always keep in the back of my mind (when people don't pay just remember this little word LIEN). If you want more info email me and I can tell you a good trick or too especially with USM. Hold your ground keep your head up and you will work through this. If i recall correctly it should be in your contract that you have the first chance to rectify the problem yourself, or advance it to your insurance.
    USM are bullies!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  16. tutianoburgante

tutianoburgante Member

I tried to open a thread to everyone who has worked for USM a.k.a US maint. no one replied. Try again I would love to hear some of the off the wall stories. They pulled that insurance crap with us to. Boy do we have some real stories we could tell everyone.
  17. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

thats f#$#D up, who do you deal with? shoot me an email when you get a chance and let me know your contact name over there that you talk to, ramairfreak98ss@hotmail.com We just turned down a ton of low ball work from them last week. They literally wanted it for half my normal price. You sure they only charged usm $800? dont tell them that you "know" the original contractor ever, just ask them to verify the cost. They thing being in CA they know more about your area than you do im sure. If they still press that they want $2400 or whatever, send them an attorney written letter, stating that you will sue them in court for the $2400 if they dont remove it from a "debt" on your service account. Go in court, take your buddy's $800 invoice to usm, and another contractors "estimate" close to that amount and sue them for insurance fraud, because thats what it is, USM has NO reason to charge 1% more than what it really costs to have repaired.
  18. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

we've done and still do work for them, im not going to say its smooth sailing but not nearly as bad as say what has happened in my Lipinski thread lol.

They did mail us a letter dated Feb 3rd, got it on Feb 19th :/ saying that they needed copies of all of our insurances, well why? We mailed it all to them in one packet in nov 08. My business ins. goes dec to dec of each year, so on their file mine expired dec 08, they dont have a copy of my new one. Ill get it to them this week, but basically theyve already paid us payments but theyre holding my check until they get this, which they have a right for the insurance copy, but to hold payments isnt right either. Obviously theyd rather a company NOT submit forms and then just pocket their check.

I think this is why they paid us 60 days after services since dec 08 because they claimed there was a "Hold" on the money, but then released it and i finally got a check the last few days of Jan 09. If we have any hiccup in the business to business relationship with them, theyre done. If even get the slight hint they are trying to screw us over or are just unethical with something, thats it. They can call someone else less reliable.

You guys think you get paid peanuts for USM properties... take your places like Rite aids or Bank of Americas that they have, cut the price in half or 25% of that and thats what Lipinski's will pay you for the SAME size facilities!

And some big companies wonder why they get crap ass service? crap ass pay and joe smoes out plowing.
  19. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

Well ive have had a few bumps in the road witht them but nothing a phone call or email didnt fix. But i think all youguys in the wny area should boycott them

that way i get more lol payup
  20. SnoBunny

SnoBunny Junior Member

They called us too and told us how much we could have the job for, but we've done work for them before with slow payment and refused the job.