1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

US Maintenance AKA dead beats

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by KenP, Nov 10, 2005.

1. KenP

KenP Senior Member

Anyone who is owed money by US Maintenance and interested in possible leagal action against them please contact me at k.pagurek@cenovainc.com for more info. I need info and takers to bring them to thier knees.
    :gunsfiring:

2. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

I was contacted by them to plow Bank of America's . I asked how they pay. I was told by the nice man on the phone that they pay in 45 days . So I gave the fax # to see what there pricing was. My brand new paper shredder is not new anymore LOL. When the nice man called back a day later I told him I would have to respectfully decline . The nice man then got a little pissy and asked "why" . He didn't even give me a chance to respond when he burst out with an attitude "let me guess pricing!!" then he hung up. At least the other companies that have taken some of us for thousands maybe close to millions(adding everyone up) dollars have been very pleasant on the phone ..
    Here is salute to the large Maint. companies :nono: : Well it looks like a salute anyway .. Good Luck chasing your money..

3. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

If you do a search on US Maintenance, you'll find you're not the only one that got ripped off by them.

4. Frostysnow

Frostysnow Senior Member
    from oh

plowinginma - just out of curiosity, what kind of pricing were they offering

5. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

No problems here with them. Friendly and curtious too.

6. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

Nobody has ever, or will ever owe me money in this business for any length of time; past a reasonable expectation.

If you guys are having a hard time getting paid, then you're bill collecting mechanisms need a tune up.

Enough said.

7. JDsnowremoval

JDsnowremoval Member
    from CT

Im doing a Few homedepots this winter for U.S. Maitnance ive never worked for them in the past but they took over the the HD's this winter i hope i get my money from them wish me the best of luck!! .... There pricing they offered seemed very reasonable... i also had Daystar maitnace call me i dont know if any of you heared of them but they are a joke they wanted me to do a circuit city plaza for a seasonal price they where offering 8k for the whole season i laughed and said sorry but i dont work for free...payup

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Can you explain this a little further to me. I don't understand.

Aren't you the one performing the service with your equipment and your employees?

Why would you let anyone else set your prices for you? When you go into the grocery store or restaurant, do you tell them how much you are going to pay for what you purchased?

Thank you

PS Didn't another well known area management company take care of the HD's the last few years? Does anybody else wonder how much that company is still managing? Seems like they lost quite a bit of work.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2005
  9. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

I don't understand why any of you would work for one of these companies. To me, and this is my opinion, I am too proud to work for one of these companies. Go out on your own and sell your business, your service. Don't let some office schmuck handle this for you. These companies don't give one **** about us. The only way to make a difference is go out and get the work on your own. It sure gives me one hell of a good feeling when I get a contract that I sold, for my price and terms. In fact, selling snow contracts makes me happier than selling any landscape contract, hands down. I had all of these companies call me once and I gave it some thought, it this is what I came up with. I don't mean to offend anyone, this is just my two cents on this matter. Perhaps if one of these companies sought my services and the price was right, I would partake in this, but for now, quit complaining about them, go sell your own business and put these a holes in their place.

10. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Amen to Andy N. It does not make sense, business or practical, to sub to a management company in a service oriented business, if you offer a quality service. I'm the best at what I do and property owners/managers pay a premium for my service.

If you want to reduce your service to a commodity that is up to you. You can get to work in one of those Korean cars. If they are so great, why doesn't everyone drive one?

The Home Depots and the Circuit Citys are commodity brokers, they make as much from financing as they do off the product. So be it. If you want to work for a low hourly wage, that's up to you. I guess the only other benefit is complaining about it. AND. Don't complain when the commodity brokers forget your name or replace with another clone.

Are you going to win going the legal route in collecting? I doubt it. Management companies are more feather than duck. I would also read my contract with them, I'm sure they have specific performance clause that you inadvertantly violated. Good luck with these idiots.

11. JDsnowremoval

JDsnowremoval Member
    from CT

What i emtn by there prices beong reasonable is that they really where reasonable we had to negotiate some with 2 of the 3 contracts but they worked well with us and where resonable just like i said... For example one of the HD's they wanted lets say 10k for the parking that ( fake numbers) we said well with sand salt etc we want 15k.... and we came to a conclusion of 14k .... Those are fake numbers but thats how we negotiated to get the contract and it worked ... We are actually making more with the managemnt company this year then we did with working with HD direct last year. I know some of you guys are like well why would I work for a managment company .. Well simply put thats all there is around here for big stores ... Back when I first started plowing we would contact the store manager then they would put us into district and then we would talk to them about the contract for the winter .... Now we call the store then call district and then they put us into there Managment agency its not that we have a choice any more atleast me anyways ... HD's Targets Walmarts Bestbuys ETC all managment companys are now in control of them atleast in my area... So im not defending US maitnace by any means but i am defending my self and anyone else that works for these companys I for one if i want to keep my accounts and make a decent living i have to work for them in the winter... I could go back to smaller parking lots driveways etc but id rather deal with these maitnace companys and keep what i have now>> Thanks for reading guys:)

12. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

JDsnowremoval i would search about other threads on US maintenance. many people have been screwed over by them. They also had contracts saying that they will be payed a certain amount per storm, then after the storm US maintenance says they will pay only so much. not the full amount due to some made up reason. just watch out and expect to get screwed by them.

13. plowinginma

from MA

For the bank of america"s they were offering
    $50 for an Ice melt at the ATM
    $51 For 1-5.1 inches of snow to include shoveling and ice melt
    $100 for5.1 to 10 inches to include shoveling and ice melt
    And a whopping $118 for 10.5 to 15 inches to iclude shoveling and ice melt
    I know the target here in my area is 30 thousand a year .. no cap of inches And sanding is included .. it is a 6 acre parking lot
    home depot was going for $300 for 1-3 $150 for sanding

14. little pat

little pat Member

JDsnowremoval, You said you negotiated the price up but it's irrelevant. With them it's how little of the agreed amount they can send you. They can promise you the world but if/when they pay it will be a small percentage of the amount owed.

15. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

That doesn't make senseyour saying they are giving you $1 to plow and shovel?I have worked for the management compaines for years and have been payed very well.I think you need to read the entire contract not stopping after the first couple of words.My banks are a per push.So if we get 6inchs of snow during the day and we plow,shovel and salt 6 times that = 6 plows,6 shovels and 6 salts.And the depots for sanding are per application.So if it snows all day and you sand it 8 times then it is $150x8=$1200 for sand/salt.Our depo we put one dump 9ft plow/sander[takes about 2.5hrs]

16. plowinginma

from MA

Actually I did read the entire contract and yes, those are the prices exactly what I quoted .. and it is per event ... not per push or visit .. Home Depot'S also restrict the sanding. Only twice is what they will pay for unless requested my the store manager.Some management companies are great .. this one just happens to not be, in my opinion

Last edited: Nov 12, 2005
  17. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

it doesnt matter what they said they would pay you the problem is you wont get paid.alot of guys are still waiting to get paid from last season.

john

18. plowed

plowed Senior Member

And the season before that...

19. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

My run in with them

Jds, not sure what depots you are going to be doing. I dumped my home depot after talking with the. They did not even realise the depot we have done for 8 years is sand only. Each 4 storms requires about three sandings because we can not use salt. Who in there right mind after 23 events last winter would enter into an agreement that was 60% less money than we did it for last year. I wished them luck we will be getting a call back when who ever agreed to that contract gets so extedned on sand bills they will not be able to drop any materials. I did not know about the late payments thats scary. If we get light snow up here this winter then US Maintance will look like heros to home depot. Anything like last winter and the store managers will be out there with shovels. It's all a phase and will never last.

20. plowed

plowed Senior Member

They had employees shoveling last year at the one in Danbury. SMG had the contract for that one, it was the worst lot ever, compared to all the other retail outlets and businesses around. The employees were shoveling the sidewalk and tucking in the islands. All this while the lot was hardpack and it slopes up away from the building. Made for a great adventure trying to push a cart full of materials through the lot. It was like that for the majority of the season while everything around it was wet and black.