1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

US Maint stikes again

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hotshot4819, Nov 12, 2008.

1. hotshot4819

hotshot4819 Senior Member

well guys, got a call for 2 bank of americas in my town. ran by US Maint. Said they were only willing to pay 4k for both lots. thats 2 k each.
    I laughed, and he wanted to know my price. told him i would get back to him.

This is now the 3 account they have asked me to handle. all priced way to low. 2 rite aids, 1 target and now the 2 bank of americas.

To make the matters worse, I guess they are in the process of converting Burger King franchise into there accounts. that means my 2 awsome paying accounts, next year will be held by these idiots. looks like they will be going for 2k a year also.:cry:

We as an Industry need to stop this,

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Its only going to get worse! I remember a guy I know asking me to give him a price for a Best Buy, doing mowing, spring clean ups with mulching. The mowing went for $47.00 per week, (he said) the spring clean up went for $400.00 (again he said) :eek: I priced it for mowing at $105.00 per time and the spring clean up was about $1200.00 this was a few years ago but holy crap! No thanks.

3. hotshot4819

and i love there contracts, Holy piss. about 30 pages..

4. Snowshow

Snowshow Member

Been servicing two of their properties in our town for about four months have still not been paid. I sent them a notice letter in the mail per their contract. Boy, if you miss one of those 30 pages they are all over you, but gosh darn if you just want to get paid then we can wait. I have just about had it. They have till our next service date to provide payment or we are done. Period. I signed up with USM about four months ago have not seen a dime!

5. dannyslawn

dannyslawn Senior Member

They contacted me about 2 weeks ago to bid 4 Bank of Americas. Banks ranged in size form around 20,000 Sq Ft. to around 50,000 Sq Ft. They wanted plowing and walks done every inch. Salt and icemelt as needed. For the smallest of the 4 I was going to bid 6000.00 for the season. They said they would not go any higher then 3700.00 per season on any of the 4 banks. I laughed at them and told them they are crazy!

6. hotshot4819

they are just out of there mind,
    It makes me sick, because im sure they are making a killing being able to offer all services from snow, mowing, floor, and maint to building all under one house. im sure they are marking up our services beyond belief. and the way there account managers operate i bet they are paid on the commision or how much they can save there company by finding new low ballers and not paying.

7. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

If US Maint. is not paying what you need...don't work for them. Then the lowballer is busy there and you can get your regular rate someplace else...and get paid on time. The best of both worlds!!

8. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

i was going to work for u.s.m but the october snow caught everyone by suprise, they told me i was going to get it, but i still had no contract signed, the other company from last season plowed it, and they told me because i didn't respond i wasn't going to plow for them, also does anybody know how they work there landscape maintenence, do they giv u prices for landscape maintenence, like snowplowing??????

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

They'll quit only when NOBODY will work for them and that's not going to happen. Somebody will always sign "to get started" or to fill in their route time with "just a few". If they have to, they'll pay a little more to pick up a new market, but after a winter or two, they'll be back to dictating "what we'll pay". Your only hope is to avoid "chain store accounts. Stick with the owner-operated businesses or franchises where the onsite owner/manager hires contractors. They'll still care about quality and service. Maintain personal service. USM type operations don't want these, anyway.

10. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

Are you sure about the BK's? Hope not.
    I am sure USM is still mad at me for the 200 page fax I sent them last year responding to a bid request joke they sent me. ;)

11. hotshot4819

i guess from what i was told, they are already handling the accounts in the midwest. They are in the process of transfering all of them that are franchise. So from the sounds of it, i will be plowing for my burger kings for the last year at a good rate.

I told the account manager right on the phone. " I hope you guys dont come in and destroy a great account and hire a bunch of low ballers." his replie " sir we dont do that" :dizzy:

12. IDOCTORTREES

IDOCTORTREES Senior Member
    from MONTANA

I agree .STRIKE---STRIKE----STRIKE:realmad:

13. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

BS. That's their business model.

14. hotshot4819

tell me about it.
    I spoke to them again today, and i talked to my friend, he used to plow both bank of americas for them and never got paid.

15. IDOCTORTREES

IDOCTORTREES Senior Member
    from MONTANA

As soon as you sign you contract go to the court house file a lean on the property for the amount agreed. Dont release your lean with out payment in full.

16. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I am glad I never sent them the contracts back... they sent me a whole packet of info with contracts asking a bunch of questions. I called them and they didn't even have anything they wanted bid, they just wanted to have someone in case or something.

Based on what I have heard here I shredded them!

17. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

I was with is maint. on a rite aid for 3 years now there sister company has it USM. Im in maryland and the rep was in s..e. Pa we had good relationship and i got paid okey. Now this year my rep is in Calif. and wont ever answer and takes 4 days to call back. How about the bit of giving a 3% discount and getting paid in 10 has any one done this program yet?
    mike

18. hotshot4819

Do they offer that program mike? i would be interested in something like that for them if they actually paid.

19. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

I did lawn work for a large truck stop a few years ago. USM came in and told me I could do it for 1/3 of what I was doing it for the 3 years prior to them taking over. I gave up on it. Since then they've contacted me a couple of times and I 've just simply screwed with them on the phone-why? 'cause they deserve it!!!!!!:gunsfiring:

20. be250

be250 Junior Member
    from kc mo.

hey, take the job but never show up . he he he barry