1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

US DOT Number??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by merrimacmill, Dec 15, 2007.

1. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I'm just wondering why I see US DOT numbers on pick ups all the time and 3500s and even 1500's? I always noticed them on the big tri axle dumps and such and always assumed that it was some kind of inspection number or something, but I've been noticing them on smaller trucks lately. What is the reason why someone would have a US Dot number posted on their smaller or larger truck?

Thanks for any info,

Collin

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

It's the law. 10,001 pounds or more combined weight.If your pulling your mowers with a pickup your going to need a number. It's free to get them. But 250.00 if you don't have them.

3. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Does the DOT # on a truck mean that it has to stop for all weight stations? All the time?

Just wondering because it would not make sense to have to stop all the time if I am only pulling a heavy trailer 1% of the time I pass the station right by my house.

4. merrimacmill

from MA

Now since my truck is commercially owned and commercially registered and insured and I imagine I'm occasionally over 10,000 pounds with my trailer and all. Does this mean I need a dot number?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Basically, if your truck is registered for more than 10,000 pounds, you need a DOT number. However, I had my one ton registered for 12,000 pounds to haul a sander in the winter and did not have a DOT number. I took it cross country from Maine to Nebraska and back without getting stopped; nor did I stop at weigh stations. But I had a flatbed that was obviously empty. There was one close call - In New York, a State Trooper swung in behind me, but before he put on his lights, he swung across the median and took off in the opposite direction. If I'd gotten stopped, I'd just tell them it was my vehicle and I was on a personal (vs business) trip.

Check out this site and decide: http://safer.fmcsa.dot.gov/faq.aspx

6. TwistedMetal

TwistedMetal Member

In my area.. they have DOT officers doing spot checks.. they seem to target the driver who has Mason type dumps more then the average guy with a pickup towing a trailer or sanding/plow.If your trailer is hauling more then 10000# it needs your DOT numbers as well.these summons are costly and produce a lot of $ for the states that issue them.

7. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

It is one number for the entire business. I would suggest everyone with a truck and trailer (total weight over 10,001) register for it. Keep the info in the truck. If you get stopped, you have it. You don't have to put the numbers on the truck to draw attention to you if you don't want to. In Michigan, you have until I think Jan of 09 to put the numbers on the trucks.

8. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

Check this site out they have the anwser

I know the company i work for has the us dot # since there commercial check this site out I'm sure it will help

http://safer.fmcsa.dot.gov/faq.aspx

9. TwistedMetal

TwistedMetal Member

Here in NY you had to have the Numbers on by june 2006...in this area they are training all the local cops the rules and regs for DOT summons...its a big money maker for the states..so look out..

10. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, you need to stop. You've just been lucky that you haven't met up with Officer ***** who will give you so many tickets you'd be better off giving your truck over to the state. Oh, and he could also red tag you for 10 hours right on the spot...no driving at all for TEN HOURS.

Care to guess how I know all of this? Right outside of Albert Lea, MN I got pulled over and the officer asked to see my log sheets. Didn't have them on me because I was just going to see my buddy in Iowa (I wasn't pulling a load or anything) but because I have a DOT # on the side of my truck and I was more than 100 miles from my origin I had to have log sheets filled out.

Anyway, right then and there I had to stop driving for 10 hours. I called a towing company who drove my truck to their shop and I took off from there but I was sure nervous about getting caught.

11. saabman

saabman Member
    from Maine

It gets even worse, I was advised Maine Motor Vehicles that commericial vehicles (that is the truck, the trailer, and the contents) over 10,000 lbs need to carry log books if crossing state lines. In Maine the commerical registration (even on pickups) states max combined weight rather than the trucks GVW. I opted for 9900 lbs for my Chevy 1500 (tows an open car trailer in summer)

12. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Saabman is right about going out of state and needing log book (which also means a med card) if you have a DOT # which you need to go out of state (or over so many miles from your base of operations.) For Maine people, be aware that trucks equipped for snow/ice removal are exempt from State DOT registration WHILE PERFORMING SNOW AND ICE RELATED FUNCTIONS. No, you can not equip your gravel truck with a plow and avoid DOT registration.

13. packey

packey Member

I know here in colorado my dot numbers are on magnets. I was told to use them when my 1 ton was hauling commercially ie. my mowing equipment. I was told by the dot offcier that this was because my 1 ton is used for both private and business use. He also said that I should always run the truck in compliance with all dot rules whether private or commercial. I am alos under the understanding this 10,001 is the combined weight of truck and trailer loaded. Which is odd becasue I am only 9900 in my 1 ton when hauling my equipment as long as I only have one z mower on it. but I was told it is because it is a one ton and that all one ton trucks for commercail use have to have DOT numbers. However a 3/4 ton if under weight does not likewise the same is so with a 1/2 ton. Needles to say I am looking for a new 1/2 ton crew cab but need to sell my 1 ton first.

14. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Anyone know the rules in Illinois?

15. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

Now what if I'm towing my buddies trailer and skid with my personal vehicle for my own personal use? They can't bust me for that right? I know it's over 10,000 because that's what the trailer and skid weigh. I get a little nervous sometimes hauling his equipment around, even though it really is for my personal use.

**edit His equipment is part of his business, excavation and landscape company.

16. merrimacmill

from MA

What if I have a dot number, but I'm not hauling anything at all and I'm way under 10,000 pounds, do I need to stop at a weigh station? Thanks.

17. grandview

Even if you drive a S 10 and it has commercial plates your suppose to stop. The sign says ALL TRUCKS.

18. OldSchoolPSD

OldSchoolPSD Senior Member

Not true, only if you are over 10k actual GCW. The only exemption being RV's and Campers.

If you are driving an S10 with commercial truck plates, you do not need to stop. If you are driving an F-350 with a DOT # and you weigh under 10k you do not need to stock. If your vehicle, or vehicle and trailer weight more than 10k you need to stop.

19. saabman

saabman Member
    from Maine

The reason I now have commercial plates (even though I do nothing commerical with my truck) is that a car buddy got stopped on the Maine Turnpike for being overweight in his F150. They (special weight compliance unit of the State Police) took him and his dual axle car carrier (with car on it) to the scales (in Augusta). The combined weight was over 10,000 which is illegal in Maine ( I think the limit is like 6000 lbs) on personal plates. He got off with a warning. He and I both now run commericial plates.

BTW, Maine exempts boat trailers, snow mobile trailers, and RV trailers. I even said my race car was a recreational vehicle :) in attempt to escape the commerical tags, but they did not buy it.

20. grandview

In NY you better pull in and get the wave by from the cop.