1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

US DOT##### for Michigan

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by LJC Lawncare, Jan 9, 2009.

1. LJC Lawncare

LJC Lawncare Junior Member

I'm new to the business and I have seen a couple of 3/4 ton plow trucks with DOT #'s on their doors. I have noticed that most of the trucks that have the DOT # have advertisement on their trucks also. I know that in Michigan that it is required if your truck is over 10K, but I don't know if they also want you to have it if you are a commercial vehicle. I plow with my 3/4 ton Dodge and have magnets on the doors with my company name and phone number on it. Do I need a dot #, or should I take off my magnets?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Since it sounds like you are a legit business, in Michigan, yes, you need the DOT number on the truck. It is free to acquire the number. Of course, the stickers are on your dime. It is not likely you will get nailed for it, but it is possible, so you decide.

Just my two cents here.... rather than using the magnetic sign, I have my truck lettered up with stickers by a company that does it professionally. I have the DOT # underneath all that, on the bottom of the door. It looks so much better than a magnetic sign. Too each their own though.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  3. Jon Schuler

Jon Schuler Member

Now I was just told that I needed medical cards for any drivers and log books for driving. Not sure about inspections though. PITA if you ask me. I can see a charge to get them renewed on the horizon. Anybody heard any different?

4. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Medical cards for all drivers
    DOT #'s on all trucks and
    Annual vehicle inspections w/ sticker on your truck is needed

5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Go here
    http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/

go to the link that says "Registration & Assistance: U.S.DOT Number/Operating Authority"

Follow thru the little questions, and it will tell you what you need for what you run and in what states.

a USDOT # is free, but there is paperwork to be maintained.

6. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Thanks, Paul...I was going to mention yhe same thing. Also, while we're at it,..we should mentio that all drivers (including employees) will do require a Chauffeur license (for driving any commercial vehicle...even not requiring a CDL of any cat.).

7. LoneCowboy

You all may be right and it's all Michigan stuff.
    But it's not federal stuff.
    This all sounds very crazy to me, I asked my Colorado FMCSA about a CDL needed for pickups and he said (and I quote) "Pickups aren't even regulated"

Here, call these people, get the right answers.

Michigan FMCSA divisional office
    315 W Allegan St, room 219
    Lansing MI 48933

517-377-1866

8. LJC Lawncare

Thanks. The only reason why I was worried about getting nailed, is b/c there is a weight master that drives around genesee county and likes to write tickets to everybody. Does anybody know of a good graphics guy that is not to expensive around the flint area?

9. Jon Schuler

Jon Schuler Member

I have a buddy, f350 diesel that was pulling an EMPTY dump trailer and was pulled over and fined due to being over 10000 lbs and didnt have a us dot number on his truck. The kicker is the truck isnt even lettered up. He watched him drop off a load of busted concrete and after that pulled him over. Motor carrier asked if he was working comercially and he said he was.........thanks for being honest, here is your fine for no us dot number. Its weird here, depends on which official you ask, they all tell you something different.

10. illiniplower

illiniplower Member

if you are going to get vinyl graphics put on for your business you cant change the size and shape of USDOT #'s. Better check with your local DOT they can give you all the specs. New law in Illinios any vechile with a D-plate must have DOT numbers we looked into making fancy vinly ones and thats when we found out you cant do that.

11. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

like the others said...+
    -dot# visabe from 30ft away (2")
    -city of business and name
    -all dot regulations followed... med card, chauffers endorsment, fire extinguisher, flares, triangles, all lights working, extra fuses, proper load handling, ins, registration, etc........

but in my neck of the woods there are 1 for every 10 or so legal 3/4tons on the road if not less. hope your paying taxes too because a paper trail is a bad thing to have.

12. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I got pulled over last summer and dot state trooper didn't say anything about chaufers license. Maybe because I am the owner. I'm getting my CDL in the summer, because I'm buying bigger trucks.

FYI I paid $50 for the medical exam from my Dr. Blood pressure was high thinking about what my workers had done that day so they only gave me a year long card. Normally it is 2 years I guess.

Trucks had to be DOT lettered by January 1 of this year. In MI it doesn't matter what font you use as long as it can be read from either 30 or 50 feet away and contrasting color from the truck. Can't have white letters on a white truck as an example.

13. LJC Lawncare

where do I go to apply for DOT #?

14. LoneCowboy

do you even read what people wrote? :realmad:
    I gave you both the online link and the local Michigan division office phone number up above.

CALL THEM, get all the answers and even ones that are correct.

Let us know what they say?

15. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare Member
    from mi

Or you can just ask me.. Tell me what setup you have (GVWR of truck) located on inside of drivers door. FYI- MOST plow trucks are GVWR under 10,001, Therefor No medical needed, No fire ext, warning triangles or even DOT number til you get above 10,001 GVWR or GCWR. Example, GVWR or truck 8700 nothing needed but carrier id (with or without DOT #) Carrier ID is MI law if you have a commercial vehicle with an ACTUAL WEIGHT over 5000 pounds. BUT as soon as you put a triler behind it. you WILL go over 10,001, so you will need everything. or if your truck is GVWR then you will.

Chauffeurs license is MI STATE law. It has NOTHING to do with what is said above. POWER UNIT meaning truck has to be GVWR 10,000 or above.

This is MICHIGAN LAWS. I cant speak for the rest of the USA.

Please guys if you have questions send me an email or post on here. It can be confusing.

dfrancis@inghamcrc.org

16. Jon Schuler

Jon Schuler Member

Im going to gets the screws put to me when lawn season comes, Diabetic employee that flunked his piss test.........too much sugar in his urine=NO MEDICAL CARD. If I cant figure a setup under 10000 lbs Im in trouble. Guy would have CDL except for not being able to get medical card. He would be driving. Was told there is a way around it involving 9 million trees worth of paperwork. Thinking even if he doesnt pull enclosed trailer, it will still be over.

17. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

There was a thread on this same subject a couple of weeks ago, got lots of responses worth the search!

18. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Jon Schuler, I've got a diabetic lawn guy also. He went through the medical stuff, but still hasn't gotten his medical card. Says "I only need the eye test." I said, "then go get it". I have decided he only rides with the other guy and he doesn't get a raise until I see the medical card.

He is also my brother-in-law and I wish he would quit due to his performance and the fact I CAN't fire him.

19. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

wether or not you need a cdl IS a fed regulation

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  20. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare Member
    from mi

Your right it is BUT...Im so so so sorry to inform you that MI did not adopt that part of the fed regs. And chauffeurs license is different from a CDL. If thats what your geting at because I didnt speak on CDL'S on my post. Most people on here dont drive CDL type vehicles.

You need a CDL if....
    Single Vehicles - Having a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR)* of 26,001 pounds or more.

Combination Vehicles - Towing a trailer or other vehicles with a GVWR of 10,001 pounds or more when the gross combination weight rating (GCWR)** is 26,001 pounds or more.
    Vehicles:
    Designed to transport 16 or more people (including the driver)
    Carrying hazardous materials in amounts requiring placarding
    *Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is the recommended maximum total weight of the vehicle and load as designated by the vehicle manufacturer. The GVWR label is usually found on the driver side door post of the power unit and on the front left side of the trailer. The GVWR should not be confused with the elected gross vehicle weight (GVW) which is declared by the vehicle owner for registration purposes.
    **Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) means the value specified by the manufacturer as the maximum loaded weight of a combination vehicle. In the absence of a label, the GCWR can be calculated by adding the GVWR of the power unit to the GVWR of the vehicle(s) or trailer(s) being towed.

Chauffeurs License-
    Unless exempt (as explained below) a chauffeur license is required if you:

Are employed for the principal purpose of operating a motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 10,000 pounds or more. (See note below.)
    Operate a motor vehicle as a carrier of passengers or as a common or contract carrier of property.
    Operate a bus or a school bus.
    Operate a taxi or limousine