1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

US Army Needs Help

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by fernalddude, Jan 24, 2011.

1. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys need some help here a while back I saw a vid or a post here on how to make a brine plant and I cant find the old post. My son is deployed in Afghanistan at bagram airfield he is a wing commander and has been ask to help with the airfields ice problem.

His Email
    "Hey, man. Looks like we're having some fun up here with snow clearing just
    like you are! The boss wants me to look into building a system like what we
    have in the back of the Broncos. Can you send me a list of what you needed
    to make that work? I can't recall what we used for nozzles on the sprayers
    and what motor we used to spray with. Why did we decide not to use this
    again? I think it wasn't cost effective if memory serves correctly.

What I'm thinking I can do with this is get a small pressure washer and a
    large tank. I'll have the line from the tank (with salt solution) going
    into a metal coil that will be wrapped around either the coolant or the
    exhaust (or both). If I have a small motor circulating the solution while
    the vehicle is running, it will warm up all of the solution. While it won't
    be boiling hot, it will be warmer than the ice and, therefore, help to melt
    the ice.

Any thoughts?

Ok so in the vid a guy uses 2 tanks and 2 pumps one to recycle the fluid and one to transfer into a holding tank.
    Now we have to be able to do this with stuff they have on hand at a airfield but I need some pics to give them some possible solutions or that vid or web site ECT. youtube thing. Any help would be great
    In th pic looks like one air group has found a way to place the product on the ground but they need a way to make the brine. the second pic is one of our spray tanks he is talking about,..... Thanks Eric....

Runway De-Icer 002 (Medium).jpg

Picture 558.jpg
  2. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

I didn't read he whole email, but i saw a part about "salt solution". You should never use any type of salt on an airfield. A product like urea is best to use. Remember air planes fly for 50 plus years, and when things break people die. Salt like prodducts cause corrosion even in minimal amounts, 50 years later the damage will show
  4. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

See if they can get potassium acetate, that's the common anti/de-icer for many airports. They would be able to apply with any of the systems shown. Only trouble is for good results you need to use volume. I do not not remember proper application rates. I do know we did a Walmart that took about a thousand gals per app.
  5. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I reported this post and asked the admin to edit the names and titles out of it. I know you are trying to help your son, and thank you for his service and for your support of him. I've been deployed also. Those names and titles are OPSEC that should not be on a public form. Those names and titles can actually put families in danger at home. Please understand I'm not trying to be rude, I hope you can find a solution to his problem. But PLEASE use discretion in the future posting on a public forum.
  6. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

I didn't read the whole thing as stated, however the names and rank are pubic information, while I would not advise posting as above there was little OPSEC involved, providing that they are not on an undercover operation, or disclosed any info regarding movement or future planing and operations
  7. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

The thing was it said (example) MAJ JONES TASK FORCE XXXX COMMADER, FOB EAGLE, AFGANISTAN (example only)

Now if your a terrorist, you want to target him, because he's in charge of a deployed unit. So they find out all they can about him using other public info. And they attack him at home(his family), like the cowards they are. It is never wise to include any more info then required, because to much public information can be used together by bad people. I've been though literally days and days of OPSEC training. I see it everywhere, just trying to limit it where possible.
  8. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

They can make the brine using holding tanks and a pump. A 2" trash pump would work the fastest. They could use the red tank in the picture, making the brine in the same tank they apply it from. If they can T in a 2" line coming from the bottom of the tank, to a 2" trash pump, they can hold the discharge hose in the top of the tank. when the pump is running it will move a large volume of water quickly. They can pour the salt in the top of the tank while the pump is running and mix it all up. It will not take long at all for the salt to dissolve. This chart will help them decide how much salt they need per gallon of water (approx 2.3 lbs per gallon). They might consider mixxing a little calcuim chloride into the brine also.

View attachment Salt Brine Statistics and Rock Salt.pdf

That pump would work for circulation to make the brine. Could be hooked into the application spray bar also if wanted.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  9. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Although I would never recommend salt brine to be used near aluminum and steel, he might want to get approval before he uses it. If he has any questions or needs any pics, I would be more than willing to try and answer them. I will PM, you, my email address if he would like to contact me directly.

Small rant..... Our government pisses away billions of dollars on non-sense but can't get these boys what they need? Absolutely shameful.!
  10. leon

leon Senior Member

salt and air fields

In order to solve this problem quickly,
    and avoid issues with corrosion you
    can do the following.

Limestone that has been sized with a
    stone hammer mill grinder will provide
    you with excellent deicing properties.

Its easy to do and less complicated
    that dealing with salt brines.

You can simply load a Pendulum type spreader
    from Vicon and have better coverage and
    zero problems with spreader parts if you have
    access to a agricultural tractor with a 540 R.P.M., P.T.O.

limestone dust had been used for runway deicing at
    our local airport until it became more expensive
    than salt and they changed deicers.

If there is limestone quarry nearby that mines limestone it will be
    easy to accomplish and have a stone supply that can be
    secured and crushed and ground on site as needed using a very small
    portable crushing plant that can crush and gring the limestone
    feed stock as needed.

IF the quarry operator hammermills limestone for livestock feed that
    is even better as you will be able purchase the hammer milled
    limestone dust and stockpile it at the air base under cover.

The limestone dust is a better option in general as it will not corrode and
    short out the runways wiring also.

If his CO or the base commander would like to know more they can contact me
    at lzaharis@lighlink.com