1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

URGENT Problem with a Curtis Plow...Need some Feedback

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 600rrpilot, Oct 19, 2006.

1. 600rrpilot

600rrpilot Senior Member

Ok guys heres the deal. Last sept I purchased a Cutris Sno pro 3000 from a local dealer. The plow was installed by the dealer and off I went. First few storms and my headlamp out indicator started going crazy lighting up and chiming a few times every minute. Finally a few weeks later the lowbeams on my vehicle stopped working completely and the lamp out indicator stayed on. I brought the plow and truck back to the installer. He said He put everything back to stock and it still didnt have headlights therefore the problem lied within the trucks system. Ok fair enough. Recently brought the truck into dodge and they found the Front Control Module to be malfunctioning. As an out of warranty item, I paid the 350 dollars and went away with headlights working (plow harness still hooked up). A few days later...the dreaded chime and lamp out indicator came back. Brought it back into dodge with one headlamp out the other working sometimes. I have now isolated the plow harness from the system and the headlamps have been functioning perfectly. The truck was brought back to the installer for this problem while the plow was under warranty. But it has expired this past sept.

Upon calling Curtis They claim dodge has a weak module and basically in a nut shell it isnt their problem or issue to correct. I am worried about hooking the plow harness back up risking another 350 dollars. Correct me if Im wrong but isnt there some type of legality issue here since they sold me a product MODEL SPECIFIC to my truck, And it is not functioning properly. In your eyes, who is responsible and why? and what type of action should I take as this season is quickly approaching.

Thanks guys
    Chris

2. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

why dont you bypass the factory lighting all together. on my 04 doge i use the parking light and a separete relayed switch for the plow lights

john

3. 600rrpilot

600rrpilot Senior Member

Could you please give a better description on how to do this? Right now I have an In cab switch to switch from plow lamps or vehicle lamps. And behind each headlamp there is a pigtail harness that plugs into the oem headlamp harness and then back into the bulb.

Im just mad I paid 3500 for a plow with no apparent customer service. They are now trying to start to help over the phone. But I think we are exhausting the obvious things to check like correct headlight adapters and such.

4. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Im actually having a similar prob on my Dodge. One factory headlamp only works about 10% going through the Meyer change over module, or plugged in as from the factory stock. But going through the module it does the same thing to the left plow lamp, telling me its something unrelated to the plethora of harnesses and wires necessary to do this change over.

I want to believe its a bad ground, but your experience tells me now that it may not be, and its some factory module or whatever giving me grief. Of course everything worked fine last season and I rarely drove this truck at night and just found the prob of late.

Good luck with your problems.

These electrical gremlins are such a PITA.

5. 600rrpilot

600rrpilot Senior Member

bringing this back.....because the problem is still with me.

Anyone have any advice? Maybe its a short causing the problem? This happens when the plow isnt even hooked up...just the harness under the hood. once i unplug the headlight adapters the problem goes away.

Should i try and bring it to another curtis dealer (as curtis wants me to) to have it checked out by someone else or should i eat my 350 bucks for my module and re wire it myself.

Can someone give me a description or wiring diagram how i should isolate the plow lights from my trucks system? with a relayed switch?