1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

urgent no start powerstroke...

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by chtucker, Dec 7, 2002.

1. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Ok on my superduty with 36272 miles on it (272 miles out of bumper to bumper) 2 miles of that was towing to work...

Died about 1/4 mile from my house in 25 degree weather.

Towed (myself) to work, plugged in, on a battery charger, because I have been trying to start it for the last three days.

Added diesel 911 (stanadyne) to tank, and filter. Replaced filter. Drained filter repeatedly. 40 degree weather today. Block heater works. Changed glow plug relay. Fuel pump fills filter. All PCM fuses and such are good.

Still will not start. I am lost and PISSED what else could it be. I live 40 miles from any dealer so a tow is going to be 150-200. Roadside assistance won't tow me for free because I am over 36k. WTF. ANYTHING else I should check???

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I beleive it wont start with out oil pressure. The oil pressure builds as it cranks and that is what primes the injector pump.
    Well even tho its a could be a pain, it saves the engine from serious damage. The engine is still covered by a 100K 5 yr warranty, so aside from the tow and 100.00 deductable, the repair will be covered.
    Dino

3. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

i would disconnect the glow plugs, and give it a shot of ether to see if it fires up. those engines wont run without oil pressure (oil pressure fires the injectors). check the oil, and try the ether, see if it fires up.make sure the fuel system is primed

4. SatZ28

SatZ28 Member

I know that I've used ether in the past for firing up diesels, but I would hesitate to use ether. Ford cautions against the use of ether, and as Plowking indicates there is a 100K warranty on the PSD. Should any damage occur from the use of ether, all bets may be off on repairs under the 100K warranty.

5. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

I am kinda leary of the ether thing to. Oil pressure on guage increases if I keep the motor cranking. I am not sure how to check the high pressure pump for the injectors. Oil level is good.

I also don't think it is the cam position sensor (another common problem) as my tach stays steady under cranking.

A) I am pissed because I am losing my truck for at least 4-5 days

B) 272 @#@#*# miles past bumper to bumper

C) I have NEVER been stranded by a vehicle besides this one. 3k miles drain plug falls out of oil pan and THANK GOD the injectors won't fire. 24k fuel filter gelled, 36k this....

6. 99SDPSD

99SDPSD Senior Member

Try doing a search at http://www.thedieselstop.com it is the new name of the old (ford-diesel.com site. Lots of Powerstroke info there.

7. SatZ28

SatZ28 Member

Or try this website http://www.ford-trucks.com/ There is a member that is part of the engine team at Navistar in Indianopolis. Go to the Diesel forum and post there.

8. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

Sure sounds like a CPS to me.

Did it just die, or stutter first, then die?

Greg

9. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Won't even start now...

No Check engine light. (except on key on of course)

I don't think it is CPS because my tach registers the engine cranking and is pretty constant.

All the info and tests I have been trying are from Thedieselstop.com.

Howard

10. Mark Erpelding

Mark Erpelding Member
    from indiana

I would contact the ford dealer. They have a fund which is to be used to repair vehicles that are out of warranty. Since your truck is so close to the warranty they might help you out. They did for me on a Tarus that the power stearing pump and rack went out 3000 miles after the warranty ran out. They chargeg me a deductable of $80.00 I think. The cost of the full repair was over $600.00 It is the dealers call, the first one I went to would not help me out. The second one was glad to help me out. You can also call the 800# in your owners manual it is a Ford customer service hotline they were helpful to me on the power stearing problem.

11. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

Mark,

Howard's truck is NOT out of warranty! There is a 100,000 mi warranty on the PSD engine.

Howard, I'm telling you, go get yourself a CPS. They are pretty cheap ~$50 if I remember right, and takes about 15 min. to change. If it's not it, at least you'll have a spare.

Greg

12. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Yep it is still under warranty. The Roadside assistance think sucks though.

42 miles to the dealer, $80 hookup, $2 a mile = $164 :(

Howard

13. paul soccodato

the reason ford (or any diesel engine maker) tells you not to use ether is because if you dont disconnect the glow plugs, it will ignite (explode) in the intake manifold, and damage the upper parts of the motor.
    disconnect the glow plugs and give it a shot of ether to see if it fires, then you know where to start. diagnose the problem, dont throw parts at the truck!
    before diesels were equipped with glow plugs, ether was the only way to start them in cold weather.

14. Randy Scott

Randy Scott Senior Member

Just take it to the dealer for goddsake. How much time and money have you wasted so far on it? Let people that know what their doing do what they know. You'll really be pissed when you screw something up by monkeying with everything yourself. How many days and hours have you wasted on this thing so far? Probably more than that $200 tow bills worth.

15. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Actually no I have not wasted any money... I still have spare GPR and the fuel filter, 25 bucks for the relay (everyone should have spare) and the fuel filter needed it anyways.

Come live in the mountains of Colorado and you learn to fix your own stuff. Its like my plow, the dealer is 100 miles away, do you think I would whine and cry if it broke, How the hell would I continue plowing in a storm if I was not self reliant. I am a pretty competant home mechanic. From engine swaps, welding, to restoration I have done most of everything myself.

If I had my truck towed to the dealer on Friday, the would not have looked at it till Monday or Tuesday anyways. Then I have to make the 2 hour round trip to go pick it up. What is wrong with waiting until I have determined that it is not anything that I can fix.

Howard

16. paul soccodato

howard, disconnect the glow plugs and give a spritz of ether, see if it fires

17. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

Howard,

Your tach will still work if ths CPS is bad.

18. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Sounds to me like the CPS as well. Easy swap and then it should fire right up. I would give this a try.

I agree with you. Give yourself a shot at the repair before taking it into Ford.

19. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

I just need to find a willing donor/lender of CPS to try it out today (Sunday)...:D

If it is, I certainly will be estatic, I probably will wait to have one Fed-EXed from the IH dealer, as I understand it the CPS is 1/2 price from them.

Another thing that I did not mention is What if it snows, I have more of chance of getting my truck out plowing than the dealer does by Monday...

Thanks for all your help..

Howard

20. Brickman

Brickman Senior Member

Howard I know the feeling, and it sucks.

Actually the only time that I had that problem in my PS was when I FUBAR the computer. (Think REALLY STUPID, some thing that I knew better than to do.)

Good luck with getting it going. The biggest beef I got with any of the new engines is entirely tooooooooo many electronics to go bad.