1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Urgent Help Request-Ultramount

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by DGODGR, Jan 6, 2016.

1. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

Good Morning Gents.
    I am requesting help with my plow which broke down about two hours into my route yesterday. We are expecting another 3 to 7 inches today and I would like to get the plow up and running before I need it later today (hence the urgency).
    I have an Ultramount 8' straight Pro Plus with (3) plugs up front ((1) power, and (2) control), and a 4 port isolation module. It is mounted to a 2000 Ford F350 diesel truck. About (2) hours into my route I noticed that the controller (cab command hand held) kept turning off when I would press a function button (left, right, or up). The back light was on, but no power light.
    [A Bit of History: I have been having problems with the controller lately. I have already ordered a replacement but it is on back order (just notified of shipment last night). The problem has been that the plow will go right when asking for left (intermittent problem). I think it is the controller because we have disassembled and checked solenoids twice, and the problem seems to be pressure sensitive in the button itself.]
    After doing some Plowsite research (via my phone :() I started looking at ground wires under the hood. Everything seemed secure but after manipulating them I was able to get the power light to illuminate on the controller. Despite that the controller power light illuminates/system comes on, I no longer have hydraulics. I can hear the cartridge valves clicking but the pump does not come on.
    I decided to replace the solenoid. I had a spare so I took the time to swap them. This did not solve the problem. In fact, when I went to activate the plow it tried (I heard some sort of click) and then everything went dead. No power light, and no back light, on the controller. I checked the (2) fuses that are on the wiring harness and both are in good shape. I'm not sure if this matters but the lights do switch from truck to plow when I plug the plow in, and when switching from key on, to key off, with the lights turned on. I also find it interesting/suspicious that the fuel transfer pump (on the transfer tank in the bed of the truck) is no longer running either. Both the plow, and pump, are connected to the passenger side battery. Driver side, and passenger side batteries are connected with a cross over so I'm not sure how, or even if, this factors in. There appears to be no electrical issues with the truck itself. Only the plow and transfer pump. I will be looking at that battery though.
    It has been snowing since 3 am but I am hoping to have some time to trouble shoot/repair before it gets too deep. I decided to post my query as I can't seem to find this scenario with the search feature (or Google either), and I think there are some folks on here, that have a wealth of Western knowledge, who could possibly save me some time. While I'm waiting for a reply I will go on-line and download a trouble shooting guide.
    Thanks in advance for your assistance.
    Happy New Year!

2. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

You are identifying all sorts of problems at once.

I would start with the hydraulics. Do you have no pressure with the motor running, or is the motor not running? If the motor is running and there is no pressure, the problem is the pump...most likely a replacement, but perhaps the motor is not engaging.

Then go from there. Let us know, thanks.

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

There is a red ignition wire coming out of the control harness about 16" from the controller plug. Check that and make sure it is connected to a good ignition source. Also check the ground interconnect at the isolation module. Just back from plug 1 there are two fuses, an unused three pin configuration plug and a black/orange wire that goes to a black plastic single wire plug. Check this plug and ensure it is making a good connection. If this ground connector fails the truck thinks the plow is not on the truck. Question.... do the headlights switch back to the truck when the controller fails? If yes then the ground interconnect or the 11 pin grill plug could be the problem. If the lights stay on the plow then look at that ignition wire.

Most likely thought it is the controller itself. Beg, borrow or steal one from a friend and try it out.

4. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

Pump motor is not coming on.

Headlights are on the plow when plow connected. When I got back to the garage I noticed that the lights switch back to truck when the ignition is turned off with the lights still switched on. I think this is a normal function and it tells me that the system knows when the key is turned off or on. I will check red wire anyway.
    I will check the ground wire as you suggest. I know of the single plug. It is up by the solenoid and was messing with it yesterday. Please help me with how one would check the ground. Should I use a test light with the system switched on? Im not sure if I can do this as there is no power to the system (at least no backlight at the controller)? Or should I be testing for resistance, and if so, how much (I'm guessing zero is best)?
    Thanks of the replies.

5. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I would also check the grounding of the battery that the plow/ pump are connected to. If you have two things that are not in operation off that one battery, you need to start with that grounding and at least confirm if/why that pump is also not working if connected in the same location

6. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

Yep. Agree with the above posts. Check that all grounds are good, clean and tight. After ascertaining that, if it still does not operate, check back.

7. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

I agree with this and will check this too.

THANKS!

8. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

I am also having trouble finding the correct mechanic's guide for my plow. Its an Ultramount with isolation module. The only straight blade guide I can find is either for unimount, ultramount with relay, or MVP with isolation module. Anybody have link to the correct guide, or is my plow covered under one of those other guides?

9. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

10. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

11. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

Okay! I need to clarify terminology as I was, incorrectly, calling the relay a solenoid. This may be technically correct, on some level, but I think it is confusing in this application. This is why I was having trouble finding the correct mechanic's guide. The correct guide is the "ultra mount, straight blade with relays guide".

The plow is fixed. I think I had (2) things going on. First thing I did was to pull apart the negative terminal at the battery. I cleaned all corrosion from the wire lugs and the pinch bolt. Then lubed with dielectric grease when reassembling. This did not fix the plow, or the fuel pump. I used my multimeter and had +/- 12.8 volts to the relay. But the system would still not work. After doing the same (cleaning terminals) to the positive side I had a working fuel transfer pump. I also had the plow working, or so I thought I did, but it stopped working after I re-secured all the wires. It turns out that the ground wire, where it connects to the relay, was the culprit. This is something that I addressed roadside yesterday, and then again this morning, but I had to put a third lug on the wire before I got it right. Now I am noticing that I have a leak on one of the angle cylinders. This begs a question about sourcing (aftermarket vs OE) but I will start another thread for that.

I want to thank all of those who offered advice. This is the true value of this forum. I am hopeful that it will help someone else someday.
    Happy New Year

12. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

13. mishnick

There is no three plug / 4 port mechanic's guide on the site. You have to use the relay mechanic's guide for mechanical and the electrical manual for the wiring. That is why DSS gave you two links.

Regarding my suggestion above to check that ground interconnect.... if the plow lights stay on when the controller fails then that ground is good. If bad the isolation module would think the plow is not connected and switch the headlights to the truck.

From what I read it all leads back to the cab command (hand held controller) You said that the motor did spin and the plow moved so pressure is not in question. It's just an issue of activating the motor relay and sending signals to the correct valve coils. Maybe your controller cable is broken internally from bending over the years. You could test each of the six wires from the plug to the circuit board inside the controller. I have found those cables broken and have been able to strip them back behind the break and resolder them to fix this kind of problem......

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  14. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

I suppose my issue could be the controller (still have the intermittent problem of plow angle right when asking left) but the plow worked fine for about 12 hours yesterday. I have a new controller ordered but it was back ordered. I just got shipment notification and I expect it on Monday.
    Thank you for helping me with this issue.

15. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

some people have taken the controller apart and cleaned the board , maybe give that a try

16. mishnick

Dirty controllers usually manifest themselves as working but just needing excessive pressure. In this case we have no functions or the wrong function relative to the button pressed. Cleaning won't hurt but I think there is more to it than that.

Getting the wrong angle is certainly an issue of the controller because angle left requires that two valves to open while angle right needs only one of those two. If the controller is failing or the wires are broken only some of the coils will be getting signals causing incorrect responses.