1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Urgent Help Needed

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JOHNTIBZ, Dec 5, 2003.

JOHNTIBZ Junior Member
    from NH

First storm of the year is supposed to come in tonight dropping 15-20 inches, and my truck is broken. I put it into 4x4 today and noticed a huge clunk when I hit the gas, one of the u joints is letting go. I thought I checked them but must of overlooked this one. The truck is a 94 k2500 hd, and its the front drive shaft rear u joint. The one that goes from the transfer case to the front diff. I cant get it out to save my life. I have a 20 ton press and am afraid of mangling my driveshaft . There are these little plastic pins on both sides, what do they do, is this a standard u joint removal, or is there some trick I don't know about.

2. 4speed

4speed Member

I was told you need to burn the plastic out to remove these.
  3. CHPL

CHPL Member

If the u joint is original from the factory and it sounds like it is by your description it has plastic injected into the shaft that holds the caps in. Take propane torch and heat up the area around the cap circle around the cap until it heat the plastic up. When the plastic is hot enough it will start to ooze out. Onc the plastic stops coming out stop heating it any longer so that you dont heat the grease so much that it blows the cap off and you have flying hot grease. Wear safety glasses when you do it.
  4. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

CHPL- sad to say, been there, done that, burned the crap out of myself.