1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

urethane snow deflectors ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SCAPEASAURUSREX, Dec 2, 2002.

1. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX Senior Member
    from NJ

havent seen any current threads on defelctors, so Heres one...

I was thinking of getting a deflector and see three main styles.. a standard rubber one, a HD rubber one with reinforcing ribs, and a thin like 1/8" formed poly one , that looks like thin plastic ? Was wondering if anyone has seen one that is made of urethane and was setup like the standard rubber ones ?? only urethane...

2. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

I have the standard Western MVP deflector. Plowing many feet of snow I dont see what diffrence another kind would make. Light plowing it does it's job keeping snow on the plow & off your window. Normal plowing it rolls off when blade is angled. Pushing snow, the snow is usually higher than blade & wont make a diffrence.

I'd like to hear others opinions tho.

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Those thin plastic deflectors are not urethane they are UHMW, or polyethyline. The same material poly moldboards are made from, and cheaper "poly" edges.
    The materials are very different.
    That being said the poly deflectors look real nice, but a scrap piece of conveyor rubber is alot cheaper.
    Dino

4. long0

long0 Senior Member

I go with the conveyer belt, like Dino said. You can usually pick a piece of it for free from a gravel pit. Cut it to meet your specific needs and away you go.

Andy

5. SCAPEASAURUSREX

from NJ

I dont have a gravel yard anywhere near by so Where else could I get one of those conveyor belts ??

Also Dino , How expensive are the poly ones , and where can I get one ?? have yet to see one in any of the catalogs I have ?? other than those cheezy lookin ones ??

The one from western is like $160. and its' only a rubber thing, that s nuts, I actually was thinking of just screwing a piece of plywood on ??

6. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

NO :nono: You need something that will stand up to the force of all that snow pushung up on it.
    Rubber & Poly ones will have enough flex so thay dont snap off & go flying into your windshield.

My Western MVP included the deflectors. Dealer insalled them so the big "Western" logo is on the bottom... Not like I care about that but kinda weird that thay hid the logo....

A factory one will include the steel top mounting bar.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2002
  7. SCAPEASAURUSREX

from NJ

I was kidding about the plywood .>>>

But I would like to find something that will last and function correctly , look good and not cost $160 bucks..

Anyone have any links for the nice poly ones , so I could see them ??

8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

mills supply has the poly deflector for 79.95
    Part # PFL-080
    Their number is 1-800-888-5072
    Dino