1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Urethane or Steel Cutting Edge?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by BOSS_JG, May 30, 2013.

1. BOSS_JG

BOSS_JG Senior Member

2. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Subscribed

3. dlatulip

dlatulip Junior Member

Will these hold up to a rock/gravel road? I go through a set of steel edges yearly on my Boss V. I plow 20 Miles of rough road.

4. BOSS_JG

BOSS_JG Senior Member

There are many factors involved in determining the wear life of a cutting edge including the type of gravel (is it crushed, does it have sharp edges), is it typically frozen, what is your plowing speed? If the gravel is not crushed (no sharp edges) you could use the urethane edge.

5. dlatulip

dlatulip Junior Member

I plow unimproved mountain roads that are a mix of large flat rock, some round, with loose gravel, some sharp and dirt. I try to let the snow build up a little before plowing but that is difficult sometimes. I have an older RTII V that I have drilled out to run the newer style cutting edged with the curb guards. They seem to hold up a little longer than the older style cutting edges.

I go though at least one set a year.

I was hoping the Urethane would hold up a little better and take some of the shock from me hitting the rocks. I have tried running shoes bit they don't help much since the road is so uneven.

Since I have so much to plow my speed is around 15-20 MPH. I need this speed to throw the snow a greater distance since the roads can get narrow by the end of the season.

Sounds like I should stick with steel.

6. BOSS_JG

BOSS_JG Senior Member

We currently only have the urethane edges for straight blades but in general urethane will reduce the amount of vibration you experience in the cab. The testing we have completed, on the straight blade, on an older paved road, indicates that the edges wear at approximately the same.

The newer style steel cutting edges that you are using are made from a very durable material that does extend the life of the edge compared to the older style steel edges.

If we can provide any additional information just let us know! Thank you for being a BOSS Owner!