1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

urethane on boss V

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ceaman, Dec 10, 2001.

1. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

I am thinking of putting a urethane edge on my boss v and had a local dealer tell me not to.... That it wouldnt clean away the hardpack. Then told me i could run a 1" thick over my steel edge in a one piece. I dont think you can run a one piece edge on a V because it would buckle/ stretch depending on the plow position.

How have any of you put the urethane on your V blades??
    What urethane is reccomended by the users here?

2. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Well nothing really peels hardpack unless you have some serious downpressure.
    With out getting into another pro/ con debate over urethane, call me at 860-859-0739 and I will be happy to discuss any questions you may have. I think a few users may tell of their experience using urethane. We use it on western mvp plows and have had very good success. You may lose about 5% of your scraping ability, but that is easliy offset by proper anti/deicing methods.
    The abuse that you save on the truck, plow, curbs and landscaping will more than offset any loss in scraping ability.
    There are a few makers of urethane edge. the most common names heard are
    Fallline
    Bailey Parks
    Cues
    and the brand that I sell MPT.Whatever brand you end up using, I think you will be way ahead of the game. It also lets you plow any surface with no damage.
    Dino

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Ceaman,I just put U edge on my new Boss 9'2",I didnt have any trouble mounting it,I had to buy 10-3" longx5/8 bolts,and a 11/16" spade brill bit,everything else is easy.I traced out the pattern from the new unused steel edge on to the U edge,and cut it out.I had to do a little trimming by the center pin area to keep the edge from buckling in the scoop position,but no big deal.I got mine from Dino.I used it on saturday night,we got 2" of wet,heavy snow,the U edge worked great,hardly any torn up grass,even though the ground is still soft,and unfrozen.Also with the U edge,i notice hardly any trail in the middle,whereas my cousins have a bigger trail with there steel edges,I was able to mount the U edge nice and tight to the center flap,protecting it better than the steel edge does.if i can ever get my digital camer working,Ill post some pics of it.Since my original edges are new,and not worn,I traced the bolt pattern onto a peice of 3/16"x 2" flat steel,and used them to mount the U edge to,this will keep from adding any more weight to an already heavy plow.

5. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

thank you to everyone who replyed.
    i can use all the help I can get..... i really look forard to reading the new posts on this site every day thanks....

6. ddm

ddm Member

I also purchased a 9-2 Boss poly for this season. I didn't think the urethane edges would work as well on the V's , but I see I may be wrong there from what is posted. Just curious as to the cost of the new edge?

7. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

In order to use a U edge on a BOSS like is in that pic, would I have to jack up my torsion bars to allow for that 2" increased height that the U edge produces? About how much $ are we talking for a 8'2" BOSS?

8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The pic of that install is quite right. It should have been installed another 2" higher, but we didnt have a used edge to use as a retainer. When installed correctly, the u edge will be the same height as a new steel edge.
    Call me at 860-608-1842 and I will be happy to advise you were you can get one, and the price range that u edges run in.
    Dino

9. John DiMartino

I installed mine the same height as the center shoe,which is the same as a new stock edge.If you install it any higher,the center shoe will not touch,so you have to install it to that height.I have the steel plow,which is a little easier to mount the edge on than the ploy V that Dino mounted the U edge on in the demo.The only thing i need now is a urethane center scraper,since the stock one isnt nearly as tough as the U -edge,after only 1 storm it is beat up bad,since i pushed a section of gravel with it,the gravel seems to be tough on the center shoe,but not effect the U edge,it still scrapes great,I see that im going to be buying center scrapers a lot faster than edges.

10. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

well I was thinking..... being a tool & die maker.... *if I had a chunk of good polyurathane* I might be able to make a couple of good prototypes for the horses hoof.....

*HINT*

11. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Somebody set that man up with some urethane!

I'll take two.:D

12. John DiMartino

Ill two also,the rubber they are made out of isnt the most durable choice.