1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Urethane Edges

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Quality SR, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Does anyone know where I can get Urethane Edges? Thanks Rich

2. Quality SR

Any help would be great.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Do a search for Polar Edge or Gregg Blair. He's a member here, and I highly recommend their products.

http://www.plowsite.com/member.php?u=4684

Or give Jerre a PM, I believe he is a Polar Edge dealer as well and will ship anywhere.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  4. Quality SR

Thanks Mark. Also would this edges work with the wings? I know you can buy pieces for the wings but will they work with out it? I know they stick off the plow like 3 or 4 inches. How long do these last? Thanks Rich

5. Mark Oomkes

What plow are you putting them on?

6. Quality SR

An 8' Western straight blade.

7. Mark Oomkes

I only have power wings. ;)

Talk to either J or Gregg, they can help you out with advice and what is needed. From what I hear, they will work fine or better on wings than the rubber because they are stiffer.

Urethane edges will last much, much, much longer than steel. You are also able to flip them around to get more uses out of it. This more than makes up for the extra cost.

You won't notice much of a difference in scraping between steel and urethane with your blade. It makes a world of difference with the Blizzards, though. We ended up with a bunch of crappy storms last year that resulted in a lot of hardpack, so we ended up switching one of the 8611's back to steel just for the scraping.

8. Quality SR

Well excuse me. :p
    Thanks for you help Mark. You can say that again, that is all we had last year was the hardpack snow, and ICE. I am going to search for them now. Mark, they install between the steel edge right?

9. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Two ways to go with the main plow. I suggest putting a Blizzard style edge on the main and doing the necessary hole relocation in the moldboard. Works much better than the sandwich method of steel face/edge/moldboard.

As for the wings. We reinforce the wings and the put 2" thick U edge pieces on them. Makes them clean a lot better.

PM me for prices or more info on them.

Jerre

P.S. I'd advertise for the polar edges but not allowed with the current PS rules without putting up alot of $$ and sales don't off set that.

Jerre

10. Quality SR

Jerre Pm sent...

11. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i run u edges on my wings and use to use a u edge on my blade
    the wings work much better than the stock rubber but removed the edge from the
    blade after one storm do to no scraping ability compared to steel .but i will say one thing
    though the plowing was quiet and very forgiving over potholes and raised concrete

JR

12. RipT

RipT Senior Member

I've run a rubber edge that I bought from my Western Dealer on a PolyPlow for about 6 years now on over a mile of rock/dirt/gravel private road and, for my purposes, would not go back to steel. About 5" of one corner finally tore, but I consider that minor after all I have put it through.

13. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

Jerre, hi are you still doing the urethane edges? If so I need to outfit my 810 blizzard with the urethane edges.....email me at pancakelake@yahoo.com