1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Urethane edges

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bossfan, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Bossfan

Bossfan Member
    from Kansas

Hey from KS,
    Do you guys think the urethane edges are as good as they are built up to be? Am thinking about getting urethane edges for both my Boss v plows. Heard all the reports about the edge but figured id poll the audience! (I only plow one raised parking deck, so rubber is not an option)

JON:D

2. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i thought about buying one

but it seems that they arent that great on ice

cardoctor:nod:

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Search !

It has been discussed many times over.Lots of different opinions.

Urethane has it's place.I get my carbides cheap,and use the municipal grade stuff,so they last forever.

Urethane edge search results

4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Chris, just an FYI... each search is assigned a number.... the link will only work for I believe 12 hours? Maybe 24 hours? After that it will be a dead link. (I tried it on my first FAQ page that I had to scrap :realmad: )

By giving it a number, it eases the load on the server, and speeds up the search (I am told).

~Chuck

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Thanks for the heads up Chuck,I didn't know that.

6. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

How will a urethane edge deal with a raised leading edge of a customers asphalt driveway ?. If I am not careful my steel edge will catch and remove chunks (not good )

7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

call me at 860-608-1842
    The u edge will handle that transition with little noticable energy transfere to the plow and truck. As for ice, I have yet to see any edge remove ice.
    Dino

8. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

Dino

Not ice, but will it tear out the asphalt I am guessing it wont

9. plowking35

from SE CT

No the u edge will flex and absorb the impact between the two surfaces. I have several lots that I plow that have the same type of issues, and the u edge takes the abuse not the asphalt, plow or truck. Even if I had to replace the u edge every season Iwould still use them because of the abuse they take instead of the plow or truck. However add the fact that thy last a very long time, it just sweetens the pot.
    Dino

10. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

U edge wear edge

Would another way to wear in a U Edge be to back drag it for a distance, say in a long parking lot ?

11. plowking35

from SE CT

You can do that, but going forward will do it alot faster.
    Dino

12. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Yes, that is one of the methods that has been posted here in the Urethane threads for breaking them in. And I have used the U-edges in the raised asphalt situation you mention, & those sections of asphalt are still there now, a couple of years later. They might have still been there now with the steel edges also, but the urethane definitely did not damage them.

13. WOOFSPLOW

WOOFSPLOW Member

I do have a U-Edge on my new plow truck, the edges have some rather large gouges in them - maybe 1.5" x 1" high. Looks like the prevoius owner caught the edges on something. Should I be concerned? There seems to be some life left in the edge, 2-3". Thanks:salute:

14. Santo

Santo Banned

If your not plowing an expensive pavered drive , their completely useless to me.

Nothing like a piece of 1/2 " steel with some curbfeelers.

15. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Santo,
    Are you speaking from experience?

If not, then DON'T NOT POST comments unless you have experience using a product.

Rick

16. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Santo - Say it aint so!

I respectfully disagree with you. There are many other advantages to the U - edges, besides using them for brick pavers, due to scaring.

I avr. about 50% brick paver driveways and 50% concrete/asphalt driveways each year. All my truck plows have U-edges on them - Both front and rear plows!

Benifits:
    1.) They are much quieter than conventional steel edges - huge plus -IMO - This alone saves me alot of phone time with my residential customers, complaining about waking the baby up, etc.
    2.) The last at least 3 times longer than steel if used properly. - You need to order the right size, thickness, etc. - for your particular application.

3.) There is way less force/friction distributed to the plow frame and truck. - way worth the purchase price. No more spining around in your truck when you hit a sewer cover! - LOL

Chuck B.

17. Santo

Santo Banned

I will quote myself again.
    They are completely useless to ME.

Snoworks 3 points .None of which has anything to do with the finished task at hand.
    Side by side a steel blade does a much cleaner job , you'd be kidding yourself if you thought otherwise.
    Besides pre-treating , how does that piece of plastic clean compacted snow?
    It doesnt.......It just floats easier than steel will tend to do.
    Yes suffice to say I, Im sorry I had to experience plastic.
    I know someone else here dealing with that issue right now.
    And yes , when you plow snow , you will spin around in the cab atleast once a storm , or am I THE ONLY ONE that trips his blade or edge ? To prevent that , I'll mark dangerous areas or protruding objects.

18. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Santo

Man you must have had a bad experience with your U-edge! LOL
    Well for ME, regardless of the surface type or account type, the U-edge blows away steal!

I will say that if my commercials did not salt, the steal edge would still have a use. But since we dont sign any commercial accounts without salting - it is not a problem.

As far as plowing driveways with the U-edges, I have never had a compacting problem in the three years I've used them.

Chuck B.

19. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

Snoworks

You stated " last at least 3 times longer than steel if used properly.
    What do you mean by "using properly" ?

20. plowking35

from SE CT

They are not the right edge for everyone, but they have their place in snow removal.
    Dino