1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Urethane edges on pro-wings?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jason2, Jul 25, 2001.

1. jason2

jason2 PlowSite.com Veteran

I'll be buying some pro-wings in the near future, and am also planning on a urethane edge. I have a Western 7.5 Pro plow.

Was wondering if anybody uses the urethane with the wings. If so, should I buy a 9 foot edge and run the urethane in one continuos piece? Or cut it for three individual pieces(each wing, and plow)? Or thirdly, leave the rubber edges on the wings and just get urethane for the plow?

Thanks,
    Jason.

2. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

You will need to put separate pieces on the wings instead of one continuous piece. Otherwise, when you take the wings off, you will have a lot of unsupported U-edge hanging out past the plow, and I can't imagine that being advisable. I replaced the rubber with Urethane on my wings, however it was after the season ended. I am 100% sure the wing performance will improve. Also, you will need to cut part of the wings to make them fit correctly with the U-edge on the plow.

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Bill is correct , however if the pro wings havent been installed yet, the mount the u edge first and modify the prowings to fit.
    IMO no need to install u edges on the prowings. Why?The u edge on the plow will support the pro wings.
    Dino

4. BRL

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

On my plow with prowings, we left the stock rubber in place, and installed a u thane edge on the plow itsself. It seems to work well.
    So while I want to see more u thane out there, unless your rubber is worn out, I dont see a need to replace it. If the rubber is worn out, then by all means consider u thane as a replacement product. If I remember Bill, your prowings already had some time on them, so replacing may have been a good option.
    Dino

6. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

We got tired of ripping up the rubber on our one set of pro-wings, and as soon as we put polyurethane on them, the problem went away with no alteration (and a slight increase) in productivity.

7. BRL

Yea the set in that picture was getting replaced this year no matter what the product. But the new set on the other truck is replaced with urethane also because I know it will perform better. I just looked at a picture of that newer set sitting on the wall next to me and now I remember the problem. The bottom of the rubber seems to be wearing at the same rate it always did, which is much faster than the urethane on the plow (from the plow being angled most of the time, the wings are the first point of attack). So my hope is that the wings will wear more even with the rate that the U-edge on the plows wear, to avoid problems like that picture showed.

8. jason2

jason2 PlowSite.com Veteran

Thanks for the info guys. I think I'll order up 9 feet of urethane from Dino at the same time I order the wings. I'll put individual pieces on the wings and the plow.