1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

urethane edge installed

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by White Oak, Jan 14, 2005.

1. White Oak

White Oak Member

Installed a urethane edge today and and a little nervous. I bolted it through the holes and used the old edge as a back plate to give support ot the rear while pushing. I also ran four bolts along the lower half of the edge going to the old steel edged to give support while backdragging. Drove over my gravel driveway (*no snow here) and seemed to do great!! no farming!! Than I took it to the street and got disappointed. Plow chattered something fierce. Is this normal?? If it does this on the next storm I am afraid I will be in my driveway at 3AM with an impact wrench and flashlight putting the old edge back on.
  2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

The steel edge should be on the front, so it would look like this steel edge/u-edge/moldboard.

I may chatter until it gets broken in, try dropping it on some wet pavement and driving for a bit.
  3. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Drive a half block or so in reverse with the plow down to get the edge worn into the right angle.
  4. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I think I remember mine chattering for awhile before it was completely broken in.
  5. White Oak

White Oak Member

Tried driving with it today. Drove about 5 Horrible minutes with the truck shaking apart. Where did you guys drill the holes. Top of the edge, midway down etc. Mine are on the top.
  6. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

In a perfect world, the holes should run right down the middle, which allows you to flip the edge getting double the wear.

Most sandwich the U-edge between the moldboard and the steel cutting edge, using it as a really long washer.

Ideally, you want about an inch of U-edge hanging below the steel.

Other Urethane scholars will undoubtedly chime in here.

I think someone posted some pictures at the other site.
  7. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

We put a uretnane edge on our Boss9.2 V this year. The U edge is made identicle to the steel ones. It came with no instructions for mounting. We used a piece of .250 by 2.5 inch flat bar over the urethane and used hexbolts. Seems to be working fine. Ours did some chattering and bouncing until we got a couple of hours plow time on it. The urethane doesnt scrape down the hard pack snow as well as steel, but at least now we arent snagging man holes and bustting steel cutting edges like before.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2005
  8. trying to make

trying to make Member

I drilled my holes dead center. I have agout an inch and a half of poly hanging down.poly directly against moldboard,steel blade upside down to create a sandwitch.If i wasnt such a cheap a$$,I would have used a smaller piece of steel.How does it work,I dont know we got no snow.my poly measured 1 and 11/16 thick.hangs past 3 inches on both ends.I hope I get the chance to experience some chatter soon
  9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

check out this thread http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=7488&page=3&pp=20

there was discussion about Uedges in there. I think (based solely on the mentioned thread) you have too much edge exposed. From what I have been able to find you want no more than the thickness of the edge extending below the moldboard, (so 1 inch for a 1 inch thick edge) else you risk chatter and damage to the edge through flexing of the edge. I decided to stick with steel for the "cut through the pack" performance and lighter weight.
  10. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Would have to agree that you want 1" - 1 1/2" below the blade. Also as stated the steel blade should be ontop. :cool:
  11. Gregg Blair

Gregg Blair member

All recommendations I've read here are correct. If you have a 1.5" edge, you shouldn't have much more than that hanging below the moldboard. However, I believe I read that someone has 3" of over hang on the ends of the mold board. That's probably too much, and will probably tear. I wouldn't recommend more than 1.5" - 2".

If you've installed your edge properly, you should be able to eliminate chattering by dropping the edge on wet pavement and backing up for about 100 yds.