1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mikes plowing, Apr 23, 2007.

1. mikes plowing

mikes plowing Member
    from cent pa

anyone heard of it? can you tell me how it works.
  2. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

Its a fertilizer that is often used as a de-icer. Its messy and really doesnt work as well as alot of products out there.
  3. mikes plowing

mikes plowing Member
    from cent pa

Ok one of my accounts said that is all they will use. They told me that is what they use at the air ports. I'm trying to find some thing that wont hurt flagstone.
  4. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Its commonly used by farmers and LCO's as fertilizer. I use it on my personal lawn in the spring and fall and I will say I have very green grass. It can be used as a melting material, however, like said above it doesnt work as well as other products that are available.
  5. tc21

tc21 Member

I think urea was the first carbon to carbon bond fert. developed in a lab. It's used as a nitrogen supplier for fert. I think it's a waste of money to use it as a de-icer. you get better results with other products.
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

a bunch of the "nature centers" and "Horticultural studies centers in this area use it as an ice melt on thier roads and walks. They consider it a "safe" de-icer for their "protected natural environments." These same people are up in arms against the farmers and golf courses over what they term "excessive Nitrogen run-off" from over fertilization.
  7. mikes plowing

mikes plowing Member
    from cent pa

So does any one know what would be safe for flagstone. Don't wont to crack it for them.
  8. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

Mag is safe for flagstone and pavers, Look at pellet for over flake. Flake works but its used more commonly for dust control.
  9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

LMAO. Gotta love how these idiots contradict themselves. Apparently, they don't know how to read labels.
  10. SnowMelt2006

SnowMelt2006 Member

:drinkup: Where's the popcorn icon???
  11. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

We use urea at an airport. It does not corrode the airplanes like salt or other chemicals do. It is very expensive and does not work very well. It is better than using sand that gets ingested in jet engines and erodes propellers.