1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

urea in cummins motors

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by PTSolutions, Mar 11, 2010.

1. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

now, i remember hearing how the current crop of 6.7L cummins motors didnt need urea to meet the new emissions standards, but how come i saw urea tanks and fill nozzles on the 21010 dodge diesels at the autoshow?

2. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Were they chassis cabs? The 3500-5500 Ram chassis cabs use urea injection, while standard 2500-3500 Rams do not.

3. KJ Cramer

KJ Cramer Senior Member

On a somewhat related topic. How many of you think that Urea stuff will last? Or do you think people will mod it out just like the current DPF/DOCs? Or is that even possible?

4. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

yea they were chassis cabs, what model year did they start doing this? i thought the 6.7L was sposed to meet the new 2010 standards when it came out in 08? so why the need to add it now?

urea increases gas mileage b/c its not so reliant on the dpf to do all the work. so to get rid of that system the entire scrubbing system will need to go.

5. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

The Chassis cabs are 2011 model year trucks. To meet the 2010.5 emissions(50 state) they added the Urea injection. It is very possible that higher GVWR emissions levels are slightly tougher, hence the def on the ram chassis cabs.

6. tastebeer

tastebeer Member

Any truck over 10k gvw has different emissions from those under 10k, I was at the NTEA show in St Louis last week and got updates on Ford, GM, and Dodge, the Cummins is the only diesel for 2011 that does not need the urea to meet 50state emissions. Any over 10k will use the fluid for emissions requirements.