1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Upstate NY Here we go! 15'+

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by North Country, Dec 6, 2003.

1. North Country

North Country Senior Member

With the current 15" forecast; the Farmer's Almanac may be right!

We plowed two little storms thus far. But I am looking out at the first big storm of what we hope to be a very $nowy year....

Chief Plow, CPSS and I are smiling now!

Anyone else gearing up in Upstate NY?
  2. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

NC............Us CNY guys are ready!

We are just north of Syracuse NY !

The white gold just started pounding about a
    hour ago. Rigs are ready and waiting !......geopayup
  3. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

The weather person was wrong for us here in NY capital district. Said 8" by tomorrow. Got at least 12 now and still almost whiteout conditions. Of course something is always wrong with my fisher. I have the worst luck with this thing. No head lights on the plow frame. Only highbeams. Already replaced both the relays and bulbs. Last year with this plow maybe a snow way next year. Found gas for 1.53/gal. That was my highlight of the day.
  4. PDQ Pete

PDQ Pete Senior Member

What are you going to do with all that payup money have fun!!!!
  5. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

Alright, been lurking, reading and learning for a while now, decided it's time to bite the bullet. I'm in Theresa, NY just north of Watertown. Just a dusting of snow here and it looks like that's just about all we are going to get. The snow belt has a tendency to stop at Watertown. The wind shifts and brings it to us on occassion but not this year so far. That's ok, just started plowing this year and only have two customers so far 1/2 mile down the road signed up for a one time-plows all winter fee. I don't want to get in over my head my first winter, so I'm staying real local and small to see how much I want to get into it and how well my F-150 holds up. I know, I should have went 3/4 ton but live and learn. Maybe next year.
  6. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

we got over 14inches here. drifts are up to 6ft high in some areaspayup
  7. North Country

Hello All!

OK I stated in another thread see you in 24 hours it has been longer than, but with good reason. Our routes went from 12” – 24”+ not including drifts) This was our first major event as a company. We were alert and aware but not really nervous. We had done the PM, had our meetings, staked, mapped and plowed two small storms. Now for the play by play –

First Issue – Troy built blower goes down (Recoil)

Second Issue - Another Troy Built Blower goes down (Recoil Again)

Third Issue - Little green car at on of the Dunkin Donuts will not move

Forth Issue - I get clicked and hear ‘Man down!’ (Ode to Corkey Romano) - One of our trucks caught the shoulder and was pulled off the road in between a brick sign and a tree- (Plow catches the brick, swings the box into the tree. Everyone is fine except co-pilot Bella (Female Black Lab); she refuses to ride for the duration of storm!

Fifth Issue - The Third blower goes (Shear Pin). Time out, all blower crews back to the shop to replace recoils and broken pin (Five blowers up and running, Crews head back out)

Sixth Issue - Dump with Hopper Spreader keeps stalling, something snuck into the diesel – Some fresh diesel and every additive off shelf purchased
    Seventh Issue - Little green car still at Dunkin Donuts

Eighth Issue - I spend 2 hours on my second property – Snow is already deeper than forecast – Train rockets past the warehouse creating a mini blizzard (Kind of cool)

Ninth Issue - Power steering hose on Chevy blows and is repaired (Cob)

Tenth - It blows again and is repaired (Cob)
    Eleventh - Blows for the third time – Finally repaired with correct part.

Twelfth - Little green car @ Dunkin does not belong to anyone on this planet - The need to push it into the snow bank arises – Of course we just plow around it again.

Thirteenth - We call another truck to one of my properties. I am not here yet but call ahead and tell him to sweep the truck docks and push all snow to the right of the diesel tank but don’t drop your front tire in the drainage ravine thing. I pull take my first push stack it into the pile and end up in said ravine! Dug out the plow frame and it still won’t come out. Finally I am free

Fourteenth - The crew meets for dinner and the restaurant is out of Olivenos (The appetizer I ordered)

Fifteenth - A grass Fire Road (w/ a set of train tracks) vibrates the bolts out of a Fisher Snow Foil – Zip ties to the rescue! Finish job and head to Lowes.

Sixteenth - The plow lights on a Dodge go out. Plow until darks went to the shop for a quick rewire.

Seventeenth - Arrive at all AM clean up properties to find the little green car at Dunkin has moved and was replaces by another car.

Early 12/8 – The calls start coming in to our office – mostly unit managers saying Thank You and they had never received that level of service before.

12/8 PM – All clean up and salting is complete, most everything is bare pavement. A large construction firm who strung us along all fall then never gave us the property, called the office for service on one of the large properties we bid and did not get (They couldn’t get all their properties done)! It felt good.
  8. phoenix827

phoenix827 Member

ROTFL!!!! Sounds like a good, but frustrating weekend:D Anyone know where my little green chevette went to?lol Have a :drinkup: and relax, sounds like you guys earned it!
  9. NYRookie

NYRookie Member

North Country, sounds like you boys where busy. We only got about 10", enough to push but no biggy. Even had time Saturday morning to have some new sneakers put on the truck before I began plowing. What a difference. It was going good till I backed into a Hyndai today when I went to clean a place when they moved the company cars. :eek: :dizzy:
  10. paponte

paponte Senior Member

We got 20" here. Plowed for 45hrs straight, with only 2 45min cat naps. Nights were great, it's at about 7am on when all the idiots get out on the roads. Knock on wood nothing serious happened. Just vibrated the lights off the plow, easy tighten.

I think I drank more RedBulls within those 45hrs, then I have in my entire life. Oh yeah, and I stopped to help a car that somehow found himself face first into a drift. I thew the guy a tow rope, as I had to turn around. I specifically told him that there should be a hook in the rear, not to put it on his bumper. He says ok, go I give it some gas. BAMM!! As his whole bumper comes flying at me. I asked him if he was stupid and left.
  11. North Country

That's funny actually (Sorry!) because: Three seasons ago one of the guys backed ONTO and hooked a Hyundai that was buried in the snow and completely out of site, pulled it for about 40 ft before he noticed a hesitaion in the truck! It happens sometimes even to the most careful operators. Actually I nicked a tree this storm (it just touched the bumper) I slid backward on the edge of a lot - Got to push those banks as far as humanly possible!
  12. tru cut

tru cut PlowSite.com Veteran

North Country, Where in the ADKS are you.
  13. North Country

The Gateway - We are based in Glens Falls and are currently sevicing Lake George - Wilton/ Saratoga. What is your location?
  14. tru cut

tru cut PlowSite.com Veteran

I'm on the other side of the mountains, canton, Potsdam.
  15. KLC99

KLC99 Senior Member

Paponte, is it you who put a plow on an NPR? If so, how did it do?