1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Upstate NY 2014-2015 Weather

Discussion in 'Weather' started by JTVLandscaping, Nov 29, 2014.

1. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

This one has the correct years.

2. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

So, details on the new ride?

3. TPCLandscaping

TPCLandscaping Senior Member

So how are all you southerners doing so far this season? The long friendly battle I've had with my albany friends is what the real upstate is….i just consider myself to be pretty much southern canadian.

We've only gotten a couple 1" to 2" dustings.

I have 6 commercial lots and about 10 residential… I run two trucks, a Ram 3500 crew cab dump w/ 9' fisher straight blade w/ wings and a snowex 8500 sander. My other truck is a Ram 2500 crew cab w/ 8.5' XV2 and i run a small snowex 525 salter on the back of it if i need straight salt put down. I also have a little Massey GC2610 with a curtis cab, 51" rear mount snow blower and i have a 6' ZMI pusher that should be here monday. I use this for my residential driveways and clearing out the loading docks at a couple places when back dragging just doesn't cut it.

4. welder1122

welder1122 Senior Member

Tpc where are you located? I was thinking the same think. Albany is far from upstate.i am about 25 miles south of Canada

5. JTVLandscaping

2015 Silverado 2500 HD. Everything isn't official yet because I'm going through my bank for financing and we made the deal too late yesterday and the guy I deal with at the bank doesn't work Monday so Tuesday it should be official.

6. JTVLandscaping

I always figured upstate is everything north of Kingston. You guys are the North Country. Used to have a capital district thread but there were only like 5 of us so I made it for everyone

7. TPCLandscaping

My shop is in champlain, all of my plowing is pretty much in Rouses Point… in the summer i cover lawns as far as south plattsburgh.

8. welder1122

welder1122 Senior Member

I was just at price chopper in champlain. I live in chazy and work out of plattsburgh

9. TPCLandscaping

anyone from the city figure anything on the other side of the bridges is upstate… i guess we are the north country. We are pretty spread out up here and i try not to travel to far to plow. I have friends that travel 20 to 30 miles to get to accounts, i won't do that.

10. TPCLandscaping

Do you do commercial plowing or residential? if you took Route 9 you drove right by my shop.

11. JTVLandscaping

I knew a kid in Mineville that mowed lawns but never bothered plowing because most people handle their own snow up there. Seems like you'd have to be in the bigger towns to get much work.

12. TPCLandscaping

I have 6 commercial lots right here in Rouses Point… 3 are right next to each other and the other 3 scattered around town. On a good snow storm it takes 2 trucks and 4 guys 5 hours from the time i leave the shop to the time we are back.

13. welder1122

welder1122 Senior Member

yeah I know where your shop is. After ypu said champlain it clicked. I prefer to only cover commercial. Guy I'm working for has accounts all over plattsburgh

I see your shop is up for sale and so is the troopers building

14. welder1122

welder1122 Senior Member

I feel the need for a north country weather thread

15. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

So if you get a big storm,will you be lucky enough to have the Gov hang out there too?

16. TPCLandscaping

ha grandview…we aren't "lucky" enough to get the lake effect here…worse snow i've seen here is in 93 we had about 3' in one storm.

welder…you and i would be the only one posting in there!

17. welder1122

welder1122 Senior Member

There has to be more from the north country on here

18. TPCLandscaping

Yeah i don't own the shop, just rent it for now...who do you work for? I stay out of plattsburgh for snow.

I tried bidding price chopper in Champlain, it went for $28000 for the season, barely enough to cover equipment and material let alone employees and any kind of profit.

19. welder1122

welder1122 Senior Member

Small time guy. 28k for the year? That's nuts. But champlain center only goes for about a million for a three years..... the liability of a mall like that and the amount of salt doesn't make it worth it in my mind

20. welder1122

welder1122 Senior Member

Small time guy. 28k for the year? That's nuts. But champlain center only goes for about a million for a three years..... the liability of a mall like that and the amount of salt doesn't make it worth it in my mind.. don't you do cornerstone?