1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Upper Northeast Plowers- why wait on snow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by J HIsch, Dec 20, 2004.

1. J HIsch

J HIsch Member

I have a question for all who live in the snow belt. Snow to you is like humidity and dry climates to those in the south. So i sit and wonder why is everyone waiting for it to snow? It seems to me like everyone up there should be on some sort of seasonal contract, or would have a least paid you a retainer fee. Then this would eliminate everyone counting on the weather for winter revenues. I sell only on a retainer and bill against it or in a seasonal maintenance contract. This way we make our winter revenues and dont have to count on the weather to provide it. I guess my second question is are the customers up north just unwilling to sign or pay retainers? Do they only want someone when it snows and then bill them for it? I feel like at least down here in southern IN that if I have the special equipment we will not sit around and wait on snow. I dont care if it snows or not, becasue the less it does the more I make.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

In my area, seasonals, contracts, retainers and the like are unheard of. I even have some difficulty getting people to go with a 3" trigger. Some want 5" or 6". I had one that only wanted it plowed when it got higher than the bumper on their car.

Sand is "on-demand" only. I had one customer who wanted plowed and sanded every time. This year he switched to on-demand and that's the only one I'd ever heard of. There is on Post Office a couple towns over that gets sanded regularly, but the rate is so low, I won't even go after it.

You hit it with "Snow to you is like humidity and dry climates to those in the south." Think from the customer's viewpoint. Snow is just a fact of life - live with it, drive in it, get used to it. Even businesses around here don't "clear" snow.