1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Upper Midwest 12/11 snowstorm in retrospect.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Willman940, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Willman940

Willman940 Senior Member

In the fire service there's always a stress on "what have we learned" after a big even, usually talked about in a conference or something and this findings published in the chiefs association magazine. I know most of you have been doing this awhile, but not only am I but the company I am working for are new at this so I thought I'd share any insight I had to help anyone I could out. I called it upper midwest because I know it effected that area but if you have something to contribute feel free.

All that being said, my spelling is poor and frankly I don't have a hole lot of insight right now because in my head it seems like I came, I did, and now it's done.

One thing I can say is that, during the storm is not a great time to receive a new route. Walkways and sidewalks are very hard to find under 2ish feet of snow. seeing the walk before the snow or having it staked helps a lot.

which brings be to the reason why there was 2 feet or 3 in some places even though only 18'' fell in most places.

Wind....your not going to win in a fight against it. and if you think you did you'll probably end up back at the same spot plowing and shoveling again.

Have a plan, not a lot of good comes from a bunch of guys with big expensive equipment running around like chickens with their heads cut off. reaffirm directions and make sure they are received.

maybe I'm nuts, or just inexperienced, or both. I'm not really sure at this point, if I think of anything else I'll add that too but thats all that I can think of off the top of my head.

Best wishes,

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

if you plow with the storm you can make more money
    jn this storm some places got billed 2 times
  3. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Its always a good idea to review what happened and see how you can improve your service. It's all about preparation. And now for the cheezy cliche of the day:
    If you fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

(You can use that in your report if you want to):salute:
  4. Barrakudaman

Barrakudaman Member

I definently "prepaired to fail" on this one. It was my first big/nasty/windy storm n my plow broke. And my spare plow truck was not attached to its plow and it was down a road that i could not get out of.

I have a 2" trigger with all my accounts. so if i can i would try to plow 5 times and bill 5 times, however I was only able to plow everything twice or three times. how do you guys bill this.

p.s. my spare plow truck now has a spewing front transmission seal now;-( 98 ford f-250 gas - should i just rebuild the tranny while im at it?
  5. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Being prepared is one of the best things you can do.
    Mind you, you had a storm that doesn't roll around every year but you always have to think worse case. Parts, fuel, extra trucks. And sometimes no matter how much you think you are prepared, something still happens. You work with mechanical things.
    Don't forget what you just learned.
    Would carrying some spare parts been able to fix your plow?
    Do you know of a location where your backup truck could have been stored that is more accessable?
    When I plowed privately, I always had someone ready to back me up. Someone who I could call anytime and they could/would have a vehicle ready. It cost me to pay them and sometimes I just broke even if I had to use them, but it kept the customers happy.
    Also, like you I had a 2" trigger on the majority of my accounts. When we got a big snow, I just made sure they were serviced on time and that I could service them on time rather than getting 5 plows in a 10 inch storm. I built my routes on what a truck could handle time wise for an "average" event for my area. Here, 2-4, 3-5 and 4-6 totals are about average. The times we hit 6+ in a year I can count on one hand.