1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

upper intake 1997 ...need info

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by lawnmasters2006, Mar 21, 2007.

1. lawnmasters2006

lawnmasters2006 Senior Member

my truck blew the upper or the lower intake gaskit....ohhh dam....:cry:

is there any tricks to changing them???....done them on older cars ,but not a 350 vortec

any pointers would help me out.....

it was blowin antifreeze out of the top of the intake by the valve cover...

my chevy to a ****...:realmad:

2. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

It's a big job. Upper intake is about 4 hours. Lower is about 8 hours - if you have done it before.

I've attached the steps for the upper ... You will need to enlarge the jpg.

upperIntake.jpg

3. He's right, it's a bit tedious, even for the DIY'er. I've done it twice on 2 different 5.7s. VERY common problem. Do yourself a favor and take the hood off if you can. It makes it so much easier. Good Luck.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It has to be the lower intake gaskets if it's leaking coolant as theres no coolant in the upper part of the intake. They usually leak at the back of the engine but if your leak is at the front, before condemning the lower intake gaskets, be sure and check your heater hose connection where it connects to the front of the lower intake. They use a quick connect type fitting and they like to corrode and leak there.