1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Upper Diff Mount Cracking

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Jakedaawg, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

Well, it has happened again. I am a fool.

Had a 2003 K2500HD. Put Timbrens on it. Broke upper Front Diff mount away from frame. This was four years ago.

Bought a 2010.

Did it again. This time on my '10 2500 HD. Put Timbrens on and now the Diff mount is cracked away from frame. Only plowed twice since I put them on.

Twice is too much coincidence for me.

I do not abuse my equippment other than the fact that I plow with it.

Guess I am selling everything this time. Done chasing this dog that wont hunt.

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Maybe it's time to say, goodby to Chevy ?

3. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

Absolutely.

Actually I am sure I can figure a way to blame it on tree huggers and the EPA-their never ending quest for fuel mileage and occupant safety may lead to weak frames and ****** welds, but, in the end its still my fault, somehow,someway.

It sucks, thats for sure!

4. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

That happened to our 04 Duramax last year. Broke the differential and the bracket off the frame, does not have timbrens on it. This has been a plow/landscape truck since new and has over 200,000 miles on it. Bought a used dif and welded the bracket back on and its back on the road.

5. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

It's not your fault, but this one isn't on the EPA or tree huggers, it's on GM. I'm pretty sure HD trucks don't count in all the MPG stuff. I'm pretty sure they don't put a mileage rating on the window sticker of those either. You can blame the EPA and Washington for all the corn in our gas though, which sucks. I've watched a car go from 23 MPG to 18 over the last 6 years....yay ethanol. I don't consider myself a tree hugger, but I do own a diesel Jetta that gets 45 mpg so maybe I am, and I can't stand ethanol in gas.

6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Don't know Chevy to well, how does the housing break? Is it attached to the truck in a odd way? I thought it was in a cradle of some sort for the IFS

7. DaBomb6988

DaBomb6988 Member

Your 2003 and 2010 use the same frame. From 2001-2010 they all use the same frame. 2011 - current use a stronger frame, front axle and larger brakes. I have a 2011 2500HD with a 8'6'' V-Plow. Its the same V-Plow that broke the frame on an 08. Been 4 years working the truck, same as the other, and no issues. When I had the plow mounted I didn't even need timbrens. The truck only squats less than an inch when the plow is raised. Most single axle fords and rams squat more. After my 08 frame cracked I was going to switch brands. Did some research and found out about the frame update.

8. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

While the 03 and the 10 may have the same frame the mounting of the front axel had changed.

I fixed the 03 and will fix this one, its a big job but doable. I will put insome extra gussets to hold the mount in place.

I personally am done with timbrens and most likely Chevys. I am almost positive that the Timbrens led to this failure. I doubt there is a modern truck that can handle these big V-plows. I think there is too much occupant safety stuff designed into them. Just my humble opinion, no need to get upset and post a million things about how wrong or right I am.

Sold my plow route. Thanks to all on plow site the last couple years for help and answering my questions. Good luck to you all. I certainly will not mind the cheaper insurance.

9. DaBomb6988

DaBomb6988 Member

I agree with you with the timbrens. I've seen 5 trucks with failures and they all had timbrens. Any truck with a plow on it will have a weakness. At work we have a 2013 Ram 4500 with a 9'6'' v-plow and that death wobbles when you hit potholes. After the 3rd time I dread driving it... Never ran any Ford plow trucks. But I'm sure they have their issues too.

10. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

I knew gm has some issues, but never realized how bad it was until i googled it

Doesnt seem to bother these fellas though

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  11. DaBomb6988

DaBomb6988 Member

They bent that on purpose. Better approach and departure angles hahaha

12. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

This is why we went away from Chevy. Fortunately we had good luck with ours and got rid of them before any frame issues happened. I like Chevy trucks for the ride but as far as work goes we run all Dodge Ram now but I'm not opposed to trying out a Ford. Basically as long as it has a solid front axle I think you're better off but that's just my opinion

13. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

Not that big of deal to fix. We have repaired 20 of them. Have all 3 makes and a jeep they a all have issues. In fact R&M costs are almost identical for all 3 brands. So for us it comes down to what do you preferr to run. Chevy's are always the first out of the lot.

14. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Thumbs Up I agree 100%.