1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Upper Ball Joint Bad

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by TrailK10, Dec 21, 2002.

1. TrailK10

TrailK10 Member
    from NH

while driving my truck I noticed it wasn't handling as well up front, I jacked it up and noticed that I had a bad balljoint and wanted know if you have to pull the axle shaft out to replace the ball joints I want to replace both while Im at It. any help would be apreciated thanks.
  2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, the axle shaft has to come out. If you've nver done that before be warned that that part of the job can be way over half the fun. There's a short tube that has to be seperated from the steering knuckle to permit the shaft to be pulled out. Liberal application of a BFH will get the steering knuckle off after you get the castle nuts off the ball joint stems. A special tool is needed to R & R the adjusting sleeve inside the upper mounting hole. You need a torque wrench to adjust the sleeve and set the proper load on the ball joint stems. Overall it's not a really bad job, I think it flat rates for 4 hours per side. While you're in there check the axle u-joints and replace them if there is any hint they might be going west. When you put the stub tube back in the steering knuckle clean the mating surfaces up real good and swab it well with anti-sieze lube, that will pay off the next time you have to open it up.
  3. Dave_Dean

Dave_Dean Junior Member

If you decide to do the joint replacement your self good luck finding the socket for the adjustor sleeve at a local store. Hopefully you'll have better luck than I did here in San Antonio. I had to order mine on-line from Snap-On. Guess I could have flagged down one of their trucks.

When you do get to it, the bottom ball joint gets torqued to spec first then the threaded adjustor sleeve gets installed and torqued for the top joint next, and finally put the castle nut on and torque. Alan gave me this info and it sounds like it's the way to go. I'm doing mine tomorrow and will be following his advice.
  4. TrailK10

TrailK10 Member
    from NH

Well I finnally replace the ball joints and axle u-joints on just the Drivers side which is where the bad upper ball joint was. this was a project I think im gonna wait till spring to do the other side. thanks for the info it was very helpful more helpful than a chiltons manual.