1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

upgrading to 1ton dump?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by terrapro, Nov 24, 2008.

1. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

i am at the tipping point with my business where if i pick up even one more contract especially a commercial i feel i would be over the edge. currently my setup is a 3/4ton chevy with a bossV and a tailgate spreader. all season ive been feeling i need another truck at the least for a back up.

i would love a 1ton dump for off season work and in season extras like tree removal and storm cleanup and there are a few in my area ive been eyeballing. heres the dilemma, some of my drives are tight with a 3/4ton and 8.2V. do i hire someone to run the other truck to do what i couldnt? do i get rid of the 3/4ton and give away the tighter drives and hope for more commercial?

i think another 3/4 ton would be a bad business decision since it would be exclusively for snow and i wouldnt use it in the off season. a 1ton i could definately put to work all year round and sometimes i definately feel i am doing work out of my league with just 3/4ton.
  2. dannyslawn

dannyslawn Senior Member

When it comes to truck purchases, figure out what you need and then buy the next size up. We currently have a Mitsubishi cab over dump. It is a great truck. Can haul 5 tons, tows very well, and plows like a champ, but we need a bigger dump truck! Wish we bought bigger when this one was purchased.
  3. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i says you do landscape maintenance you should have a dump anyway then. i could not be without my dump. great for hauling mulch, topsoil, stone, debris whatever.
    i would by the second truck and hire someone to drive it that way you are not running so hard to get done.
    i put a second truck on this year and instead of me running 12-14 hourswe both run about 6 hours that leaves time incase something happens
  4. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

one of my best investments has been my 1-ton dump. i love it! you hit the nail on the head with the versitality of the truck. It can handle large amounts of snow but is also utilitized during the summer and fall which makes any payments on the truck seem worth it.
  5. terrapro

from MI

well i put in a low bid for a 1ton from a local city municipality.
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Good luck with your bid. :salute:

If you can justify the dump for business (which you can) I say go for it.
  7. afralich

afralich Junior Member
    from indiana

I have had a chevy 1 ton for 2 years and could not live with out the dump. I have just put on a 9' fisher plow and can not wait to use it . A one ton dump can be used to pull trailers , haul mulch, haul wood, just abbout anything you can think of and now push snow. It is a very good piece to own.
  8. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i guess it depends on what you do during your off season , i found 1 ton dumps to be completely worthless. By the time you weight it in empty, there is only like 4000-6000 lbs max that can go in it with out being over weight normally. For a little more, you can find a 25,999 just below CDL that gives you way more options..you would be suprised at the little extra cost
  9. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

DITTOS- I can find 25,999# trucks used for under $6-7000. Now you can't do a whole lot of plowing with them unless you have sizeable parking lots, so figure that in too. I just got an older '88 GMC 1 ton a few months ago, & have already hauled gravel a few times with it. A nice step up from my 3/4 ton trucks, but pretty horrible with mpg, so it'll be a dedicated truck.
    All depends on how much plowing vs. how much hauling you'll do
  10. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

OF course, the bigger trucks are rather cumbersome for plowing driveways..... :D

The one-ton will basically go wherever your pickup will.

Depends solely on your needs, both summer and winter, in a fine balance.
  11. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

your right it will go any wear a pick up could but that doesnt mean its anywear close to the production , or even the safty (visablity ) of a pick up. I figure that the time and productivity differance between a pick up and a 1 ton , is significant. The time differance between a 1 ton dump, and a 26K is very minimual . It basicly because you cant see out the back of either. so might as well have a bigger truck
  12. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Yes but what I am saying is if it will physically fit under tree branches and other obstacles. Again, it depends on his needs. Either is a good option.

My one ton dumps have done all my residential work. There's no way my C70 could fit in there... or even in some of my small commercials. Even a shorter wheelbase version would still be hard... or a C50/60... maybe in a lo pro version...?
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  13. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

We have 2 (1 tons and would be lost with out them only one of them has a plow but its a beast for plowing. I do tend to kinda agree with some of the other people that it can be a PITA to back up at 2am in the middle of a storm because the bed really kills your visability. I would stick that on the commerical accounts and use the 3/4 on the smaller stuff.
  14. Snowplow71

Snowplow71 Senior Member

Have 3 one tons. 96 Chevy Dump Plow Smith Stainless V Spreader, 98 Chevy Dump Plow Wired for spreader, 02 Chevy Dump Plow, Will have Smith Stainless V Spreader . It is A LOT cheaper to run these 1 ton's around then it is to take a 6 Wheeler out. It's also a lot faster.
  15. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

Best move you can make - 1 ton 4wd dump
  16. terrapro

from MI

well, didnt get the truck. my bid was to low. it was sealed bidding so i had no idea what the other guys bid.

still looking though!
  17. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

What about a 3/4 ton and a dump trailer?

That's what I did for years, had (2) 3/4 tons and then a dump trailer, but this fall I too bought a new 2007 Dodge 3500 crew cab with a 9' dump box on it.

I justified it by the fact I haul firewood, and now I can haul 3 full cords of wood at a time for delivery, instead of hauling 1 - 1/2 and then coming all the way back home, just to head back down once I was loaded up again, usually about 70 miles out of the way.
  18. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

This is one of ours its a 1993 F-350 5spd stick, 460 big block. great truck
    (sorry for the crappy pic)
  19. Humvee27

Humvee27 Senior Member

Thats one nice looking truck. I'm looking at a 99 Ford F450 right now with a 10' dump and a western 9(?) v on the front....I'm looking at 12k for it....I use to have a 76 chevy 1 ton with dump but it just finally wore out....for my business needs a 1 ton works well...
  20. terrapro

from MI

i did do the 3/4ton with a dump trailer for about 6-7 years. its nice but a 3/4ton just doesnt do what a 1ton will and a dually 3500 without a dump bed just doesnt make sense either.

i also would like a 9' winged blade hanging off the front for commercials and i wont do that to a 3/4ton.