1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Upgrading the western relay/solenoid on the fender

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by BlindViper, Mar 9, 2011.

1. BlindViper

BlindViper Junior Member

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Here the part # 56134 motor relay (solenoid) link
    http://www.centralparts.com/accesso...-snowplow-starter-motor-solenoid-4-post/1335/

Make sure you check your wires on the solenoid. Most likely one of them were loose and could of created the problem..

When you install the new solenoid, make sure all wires (blk/orn, brn/red) and the positive cables are clean and tight. Use dielectric grease on them before you re-install them. Also check your ground wire ( blk/orn. this wire also attach to the plow frame, or plow motor) and neg cable to make sure they are clean and tight..

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

That relay will work fine but why pay so much when the original equipment is enough. If your relay cooked it was because of loose or corroded connections not because it was insuficient. Understand that heat is generated when current flows through a resistance. It's simple math, if you have a resistance that causes a two volt drop through the solenoid and you are drawing 100 amps its 2X100 = 200 watts of energy is being discipated as heat through that connection. Think of how much heat a 200 watt bulb generates. Now if you clean up those connection so you get only 1/4 volt drop then it's only 25 watts of enregy converted to heat. Don't bother spending so much money because it will only be wasted, just put the original relay in and keep it clean!

5. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

is there any differance between the old "white-rogers" thin and tall solenoid and the newer "trombetta" round and fat solenoid that western uses now? I have some old spare solenoids from a conventional plow i had, can i use them for replacements if I blow the solenoid in my ultramount?

6. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you have the single post from the old style ground actuated conventonial then, no, you can not. If you have the four post 12volt MS then, yes, you can. There is a difference but since you have them use them, but when you replace use the Trombetta "Bear"

8. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I am not sure about the names you are calling them but I know that the old tall slim and the new shorter round relays are the same electrically. They both have two contacts for the the coil and two large contacts for the switch. I have replace one with the other both ways many times and it has always worked.

9. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

cool, thanks guys, spare parts that can be used are always a good thing...lol....sorry viper if I highjacked this post.

10. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

The link posted to CPW is a buyers relay labeled as a western. That being said, Buyers is also using trombetta relays now too, they are exactly the same except the package they come in

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Except they're the same small cheap China made Trombetta's, same ones the plows have came equipped with for several years now. The good Trombetta's are under the Bear Contactor line. Don't confuse the two as they're two completely different animals. If it barely fits in the palm of your hand then you know it's the good one.