1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

upgrading straight blade to xls or exv???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by vt properties, Aug 3, 2011.

1. vt properties

vt properties Senior Member
    from vermont

I currently have a 8' mm2 on a 2009 f250 5.4 regular cab.. My question is how benificial in terms of productivity will they be over the 8' straight... and next which one?? This trucks rout is is a mixture but mainly somewhat open lots... I am looking to really get the most in terms of efficency before i buy a third truck...

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Once you get the v you can't go back!

3. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

I agree with this. I upgraded to a V last year, and love it. Good luck.

kevlars

4. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

Any one of those will be more productive than a straight blade. Both plows are wider than 8'. I run both straight and blizzard 810's. IMO a XLS will run circles around a V plow in a open lot. But I've never run a V in a open lot. How ever I have been plowing with a 810 since 03 and wouldn't even consider anything else. Its gonna be up to you to decide witch one will work better for you. Good luck.

5. vt properties

from vermont

Thank you... i do a bunch of open lots as well...so if i do get a v it will be the 9.6' but im kinda swaying towards the xls... i just need more efficiency ... my other rig has a 8.6 fisher exv.... i used it last season... honestly i wish i hade a bigger blade.. as like i said i service condo units and a few large lots ...

6. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

We do a bunch of condos with the blizzards. They will help as far as being able to scoop snow away from cars and stack were you need it. It will also speed up wind rowing on roads and in open lots. The expandable plow is a good multipurpose tool.

7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

For wide open lots a XLS might be more beneficial rather that a V blade. However, a V blade can get you into places that become buried and IMO, a V blade takes care of the what I call teard rows better than anything. If you put wings on a V blade then I think you have the best of both world's. Both will be like night and day vs. a regular straight blade but I bet the V blades have saved us about 25-30% of time on the lots we do. One in particular used to take us 30-40 minutes to do, its a small two level parking lot with tight turns and weird places to put snow. Since we used the V blades it now takes about 20 minutes tops.

8. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

How about this: keep the 8.5v, trade the straight for a 9.5v & have them interchangeble between trucks. I don't remember what people have said about the XLS & V's being interchangeable too, but you know the 9.5 will give a lot more productivity.

- OR -

Trade both for a 9.5v & an XLS and never again wonder what life would have been like with the other one!!

9. vt properties

from vermont

I have to admit that is the best thing to do.... Unfortunatly I only used the v plow last year a few times... I almost always drove the ford with straight blade... I think im going get the v plow... 9.5 maybee buy some wings... it might look rediculios on a f250 ..like to big...lol ...

10. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

A 9.5 AND wings? Be prepared to keep it in the straight position while driving. I beefed up our 06 F250 to 6,000lb front springs and the 8.6 V blade still hits at the corner's while driving at times while in "transport" V position.

11. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

That's why you go with a expandable plow. I've never had any issues transporting a 810 down the road.