1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Upgrading Shop Equipment

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Nascar24, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Well after a busy last year I decided to reinvest and upgrade some of my equipment.

What started this was, recently I went to buy some new welding tips for my 30+ y/o Smith welding torches and have one regulator repaired, Tips were $61 each. and new regulator was nearly $200 for one medium duty Smith regulator !

So I decided to rethink things and went home and started to look at Craigslist and E-bay. Well I found a brand new two stage HD Craftsmans outfit, still in its original package on E-bay, won the auction for $112 !. Still having a preference for Smith, I found two New old stock 2-stage HD regulators, on -bay , won the bid for $43 ! Two days later I won an auction on a brand new HD "S" series, torch body, cutting attachment and rosebud for $121 and a set of 7- brand new sets of tips for $69 ! That was seven tips for $69 vs $61 at the supply house, Hmmmmm . Well with having two Gas welding outfits and struggling to move the set around when going on site to remove push plates, I picked up the little tanks and tote for less than $100 brand new!, Again at E-bay welding supply, lol

So all in all I thought a did pretty good build a Smiths HD complete welding cutting out fit brand new included all the shipping for $268, less than 1/2 of the supply house price for an equivilent kit. The portable set with the shipping ran me $243 with a real set of HD torches, not a jewlers kit.

Still looking at Craigslist I came across a nice sandblast cabinet, used maybe three times!, I had to drive 250 miles round trip but for less than $750 including fuel, for a $1200+ shipping sandblaster, I couldn't go wrong.

Now I'm considering upgrading my Mig welder to a new model that I can Mig/Tig and SMAW all in one, figured why not, wife said do it now before the season starts? I figure my hardley used Miller Matic , which is in great shape and has never given me any trouble in 15+ years should be worth something? Just got to figure out which brand of welder I want, Lincoln, Miller Hobart, or Esab? My previous employer has several welding machines, ( Tech School) and last year they had a demo day from three suppliers,and Snap On, tried the Miller, Lincoln, Hobart, Esab and Snap on. I really wasn't as impressed with the new Miller's as I am with my current one, the lLncoln's were nice, The Esab was very nice, but I was really impressed with the Snap On . The Snap on was just different 350 amp machine, high duty cycles, easy to change over, and neet the way you could move just the wire feeder close to your work ? Downside was I didn't see the ability to do SMAW? and the consumables were outrageous in price . Right now I'm leaning towrds the Esab , it was just so refined and smooth, just a real comfortable machine. The Snap on is still very attractive, my dealer said he knows of a demo unit, used a couple of times, with all the features, for a little over half of list . He also said he will discount the consumables to make them competitive with big blue and big red. He also said he's required to carry a ton of the goods, and would rather blow them out just to keep the inventory turning.

So any feed back on what brand of Welder should I buy? Anyone interested in a Nice Miller Matic 200?

Here's some photos of my upfitting of equipment

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  2. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

[​IMG]

Heres the Miller Matic 200 if anyone is interested, comes with abrand new flowmeter, sorry no tank, it's a lease!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You are going to need a little bigger bottles to get the most out of that Rosebud

4. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Yea the last Med Duty set up sucked down the heat, I can only imagine what this one will be like!

Now that I have the mini set , I'm thinking of going to larger sized tanks at home,mid sized? I'm thinking I'll save these for back ups since I already own them.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Go 275 on O2 and small (110/125) on Acyt. they take up the same floor space, if they're leased it's probably the same monthly rent and will give you what you need for volume.

Use the set you have in the shop now for on the road and get rid of the toys. You say your torch isn't a jewelers tool, well the bottles are. Wait till you go to try to cut more then a piece of 2X1/4 flat and have to refill the bottle, run all the way to the supplier then find out getting it filled cost as much as the the big bottles.

6. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

The reason I purchased the small set is just to remove a few bolts on a set of mounts here and there, I don't want to deal with lugging the 80 & B around, with the volume of gas I purchase at my day job, the supplier does not take adavantage me when I get the small ones filled. As far as going through the exaggerated amount you stated, , no where near! Yes they will eat up the gas, but more than enough for what I want them for. It is not my intention to go out and do bridge work or Iron work, did that many years ago. I just want to make it easier on the mobile runs to get a set of mounts off. Beside most of the dealers go nuts when they see a big set, I don't need to bring anymore attention to the few bolts I need to heat up or cut off, just down and dirty and on my way! As far as the shop size it will be the 138 Oxy and the 75 Acet, don't need anything more, beside the supply house is only 3.5 miles from my door.

7. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Well picked up a New to Me Mig welder yesterday

After long thought, I purchased a slightly used Snap On MM250 SL. I was considering the big three, Lincoln, Miller and Hobart as well as a Esab. but over $4k to get a Mig/ Tig, Stick and Spool :eek: I found this Snap on with the tig attachment and spool gun for 1/2 the costs of the others so I decided to pull the trigger, lol

[​IMG]

Seems to be very smooth, got to get use to the spool gun and haven't tried the tig. Neet feature allows bringing the feeder to the work, working under a vehicle or ontop allows saves you from getting up, or down to make adjustments. Downside is consumables are twice the cost of Miller! I did find an A/M supplier that does offer the parts at a substainail discount, but of course it's a mail order deal.

Does anyone have one of these units? Any Feed back would be welcome.

So I hope I made the right choice, time will tell?